Flat tyre...what would you do?

you have a flat tyre what would you do ?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. you have a flat tyre what would you do ?

• get it sorted yourself im not frightened of a bit of muck
    • immeadiatly reach for the mobile phone and get help
    • sit sobbing by the side of the road and hope someone takes pity

Look Rambo, I am 6 feet three, 15 stones and very fit for my age of 64, my very fit and very strong son marked my card about heavy lifting a couple of years ago. I just can't do what I could do 20 years ago. When I was a teenager a 64 year old was waiting for John Heath to call.

You are typical of many on this forum, I know what it was like to be your age, you have no idea what it's like to be my age, even you must agree that this is a fact, but then again perhaps not.

We've already established that you've got a specific reason you'd call out your breakdown assistance rather than just do it yourself. I'm not arguing with you about it, I'm saying it's not typical. I think that most people, when the conditions aren't bad, they aren't on the motorway, they didn't have a hernia op last week and don't have a weak heart, would rather do it themselves than wait for between 20 minutes and several hours.

foxy lady - I never said there wasn't a case for having breakdown assistance. I still wouldn't call them out for a flat in an average situation as I've got better things to do than sit in my car waiting for someone else to do what I can do perfectly well myself.

I don't pay for annual recovery and roadside repair, to do the job myself, by the look of some of the posts if the engine died some folk would push the car to the nearest garage. :loopy:

You'd rather wait an hour for someone to come and change a wheel than just do it yourself? :huh:

Just in case you'd lost track crookesey. Above is what you said (with no mention of being physically unable to change a wheel). It was all about having paid.

My response is IMO an entirely sensible one. I pay for RAC membership, and as discussed, I would change it myself because I don't want to waste my time waiting for someone else to arrive and do what I can already do.

I've never seen a porch on the road, in front of a house ,yes

Trying to undo wheel nuts that have been tightend with an airspanner is enough to give you a hernia. Call the AA, RAC etc if you belong.

Why keep a dogand bark yourself?

Sit waiting for an hour for breakdown service to do job that takes about ten minutes max and then lose your no claims on breakdown cover:huh::huh: It's just plain idle. All you need to undo nuts that are put on with airspanner is power bar or longer piece of pipe that fits over your wheel brace for extra leverage:D We bought power bar from car boot sale for £2

And just where in the Highway Code does it say you can't change a punctured wheel on the motorway.

And just where in my post did I say that I know that you can change a wheel on a motorway?

I think it's illegal to change a tyre on the motorway. Not sure though:suspect:

I'm not sure how different people interpret rule 275. It's not illegal per se, but I'm not sure what legal position you'd find yourself in if you attempted to change an offside wheel the actions of this directly caused an accident.

...so come on folks what would you do if you got a flat tyre ? get on with it or pass the buck ???

If I can repair it on the spot, I'll do so. (The last 5 punctures haven't been reparable.)

Usually it's a call for a recovery vehicle.

I know how to change a wheel, top up my oil, check the water, fill the windscreen washer bottle. When I first started to drive I dated a mechanic and he taught me lots of things. He even made me change a clutch once!!

But I got married and I now have a man to do all that for me, He even scrapes the ice off it in winter bless him, and if he's not available I ring the AA. That's why I pay £17 a month!! I'm keeping someone in a job!!! Why do something if you don't have to?

I know how to change a wheel, top up my oil, check the water, fill the windscreen washer bottle. When I first started to drive I dated a mechanic and he taught me lots of things. He even made me change a clutch once!!

But I got married and I now have a man to do all that for me, He even scrapes the ice off it in winter bless him, and if he's not available I ring the AA. That's why I pay £17 a month!! I'm keeping someone in a job!!! Why do something if you don't have to?

How many times must this inane question be answered?

Because we don't all have the time or inclination to sit around waiting for someone else to arrive to do a job we can do ourselves!

We all do lots of things we don't have to, since when has necessity been the only reason we choose to do things?

If you keep calling breakdown services for trivial things you lose your no claims, we only call them in emergencies such as when some b*****d slashed all four of our tyres the night before we were going away:rant::rant::rant:

Archived