Seats for the disabled on buses

Yesterday afternoon about 3pm I was on the 13 bus from town. A young girl about 13 and a younger boy moved from the back of the bus up to one of the front seats. No real problem as there were hardly any passengers. At Hillsborough, opposite Boots, several really elderly people got on, including two with sticks who looked frail. I leant forward and politely told the children that they were in seats that were designated for disabled or infirm people, and pointed at the notice. They just looked blankly at me and stayed put. :confused: At the bottom of Dykes Hall Rd more elderly people got on. I asked the youngsters again to move, again without any response. So the people who those seats were designed for had to either manoevre their way to the back or remain standing.

I've given up expecting anyone to stand for those more in need of a seat, but when there are other seats free, is it unreasonable to expect the front ones to be available for the people who need them? :rant:

I know there are some children and young people around who are intelligent and considerate, but they appear to be in the minority. What a sad reflection of our society today, when a small gesture to help someone who needs it is beyond the understanding of those who could make it with little effort. :help:

I have also asked kids to do this in the past. But I am quite brash at times and have been known to say it quite loudly so that others hear.

Whilst this might not be the best way, occasionally shaming someone into it does work.

I've also seen drivers come out of their cabins to tell people to move also.

There are some good kids and I'd like to think I could add my own into them but there are those that don't know what manners are or haven't been taught bus etiquette.

I'd have asked the driver to move them, if he refused I would have told him I would report him to the depot, or if necessary I would have steered them gently out of the way after the second lot of frail passengers got on, I simply wouldn't have done nothing

I absolutely agree that fewer people seem willing to offer up their seats to those in need these days, and it does bother me. However, I've got to ask, did you offer up your own seat? Obviously I don't know you, and you may indeed have a valid reason for requiring a seat, but I don't think that the responsibility lies only on those is the 'designated' seats - if elderly/disabled people need seats, tney need seats - full stop.

I'd have asked the driver to move them, if he refused I would have told him I would report him to the depot, or if necessary I would have steered them gently out of the way after the second lot of frail passengers got on, I simply wouldn't have done nothing

I didn't 'do nothing' I twice asked the children to move. Other passengers were there too, and there was some muttering but no-one else said anything. Perhaps I'll ask the driver if it happens in future, although I think anyone who can read should observe the notice without having to be told. My point was really about the abysmal manners that some kids display, doesn't say much for their upbringing.

I absolutely agree that fewer people seem willing to offer up their seats to those in need these days, and it does bother me. However, I've got to ask, did you offer up your own seat? Obviously I don't know you, and you may indeed have a valid reason for requiring a seat, but I don't think that the responsibility lies only on those is the 'designated' seats - if elderly/disabled people need seats, tney need seats - full stop.

There were seats vacant for the children to have moved back. I didn't ask them to stand, but to move to them. There was no need for me to stand as the bus wasn't full - the point was that the front seats were occupied, and these are designated for good reason. Its more difficult for people who aren't steady to move down a moving bus to get a seat. I stand when necessary for those more in need, even though I'm over 60. I was brought up properly! :hihi:

well personally i get up and im 36weeks pregnant-the elderly have to be respected as one day it will be me! but i do expect a thankQ
I think you can forget being respected for being elderly. The payback just ain't gonna happen! :roll:

I know there are some children and young people around who are intelligent and considerate, but they appear to be in the minority. What a sad reflection of our society today, when a small gesture to help someone who needs it is beyond the understanding of those who could make it with little effort. :help:

I think you may have got that the wrong way round:) . There are lots of considerate young people around, and it's a shame that the minority of rude, unhelpful "younsters" (I'm 19) has to spoil it for everyone. I'm certainly not saying that the behaviour of these children was acceptable, far from it actually, but lots of people seem to tar young people with the same brush in this respect, and it does annoy me sometimes.

glad you said something-it annoys the hell out of me when people dont move for the frail. obviously people need a thankQ from them, to encourage them to do it again-but thats just common curts!

You are exactly right, manners don't cost anything, and if a young person feels respected by their elders, the majoirty will be respectful back:cool:

You are exactly right, manners don't cost anything, and if a young person feels respected by their elders, the majoirty will be respectful back:cool:

Thats why I asked politely both times rather than having a go. If I'm polite, then its the least I can expect in return. Pity it doesn't always work out. :roll:

Archived