WW1 volunteers wanted

dean1

hi all

in tandem with the major undertaking of trying to record all sheffield born men and women who died in the great war, i am also recording and photographing all known ww1 war memorials in sheffield. i am looking for volunteers who are prepared to photograph and list the names on their local memorial and send them on to me.

here are the type of memorial i am recording :

public war memorials

works rolls of honour

school rolls of honour

college rolls of honour

church rolls of honour, you will also find individual memorial plaques in churches.

i am also photographing all ww1 soldiers headstones in sheffield cemeterys, if you want to tackle a cemetery i can provide you with grave references to make your task easier. while you are in cemeterys you will also find inscriptions on family graves of men lost in the war, i am also recording these.

i have already quite a few memorials etc in my data base but there are a lot more out there.

if any one is interested in helping out i can provide details of churches etc where i know there is a memorial to record. i will also let you know which memorials i have already recorded.

all contributions will be credited.

many thanks in advance

Dean

I'm sure that this will be a huge project, but I'm sure that it will make the process of tracing graves and memorials to relatives much easier once it is completed.

Good luck in ever reaching your goal.

There's a roll of honour for fallen Central Technical School boys on the wall in Bannerdale Education Centre reception. Can't remember whether it's for WWI or WW2 though.

There was a similar one in the main entrance of the old Firth Park Grammar. I wonder if they saved it before the demolition?

hi all

in tandem with the major undertaking of trying to record all sheffield born men and women who died in the great war, i am also recording and photographing all known ww1 war memorials in sheffield. i am looking for volunteers who are prepared to photograph and list the names on their local memorial and send them on to me.

here are the type of memorial i am recording :

public war memorials

works rolls of honour

school rolls of honour

college rolls of honour

church rolls of honour, you will also find individual memorial plaques in churches.

i am also photographing all ww1 soldiers headstones in sheffield cemeterys, if you want to tackle a cemetery i can provide you with grave references to make your task easier. while you are in cemeterys you will also find inscriptions on family graves of men lost in the war, i am also recording these.

i have already quite a few memorials etc in my data base but there are a lot more out there.

if any one is interested in helping out i can provide details of churches etc where i know there is a memorial to record. i will also let you know which memorials i have already recorded.

all contributions will be credited.

many thanks in advance

Dean

That's a very worthwhile project, good luck with it.

Have you thought of contacting Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street. They may well hold records to add to your database, and are usually very helpful.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/?pgid=2929&fs=n

There may also be records held at the local studies Library in the main library in town. I think they have 25,000 images of which something like only 10,000 are available online at picture sheffield.com. My great great grandfather Harry Foers was killed Friday 12 November 1915 in France. PM me if you want to add his details and medal record to your list.

no probs saxon

hi zoso

yeah been using those places for years, they're excellent.

this is what i have got on 945 Corporal Harry Foers,1st/4th Battalion York and Lancs. Buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. He also appears on the Sheffield Roll of Honour. Anything else you could add would be very much appreciated.

Dean

Archived