WW1 volunteers wanted

dean1

DSCN4394-1.jpg

Memorial for the casualties of the Zepplin raid on Sheffield in 1916.

Can you please tell me exactly where these people were killed.Apparently my grandmother was hanging washing out on Lovell street near Princess Street when she thought it had suddenly started raining.It was paraffin,not rain being poured from a Zepplin ,who was trying to light it !

Hi

On the night of 25th September 1916 a lone Zeppelin dropped thirty-six bombs between Burngreave Cemetery and Darnall before heading home without any resistance. The total loss of life was twenty-eight. A hotel, a chapel and many houses were damaged, including Lyons Street and Cossey Street but the industrial targets were totally missed.

You may find further information in the Local Studies

Tuppie

When I worked in the steelworks all the drawings of the Steelwork's areas had the route of the Zeppelins drawn across them with notes in the margins giving the dates.

Where they had dropped their bombs were also marked on.

I often wondered what happened to those maps.

Happy Days!

hi biker, tuppie, pop t

try this excellent website! zeppelins over sheffield. think i am right in saying that all but three casualties were buried in burngreave cemetery

the other three must be these three from a grave in abbey lane cemetery

in affectionate rememberance of

levi hames

aged 23 years

also his loving wife

beatrice

aged 22 years

and their beloved son

horace william

aged 14 months

who was killed at 10 cossey road sheffield

september 26th 1916

in the midst of life we are in death.

we do have a photo of this headstone as well if anyone would like a copy emailing to them let us know.

hello pop

hope you are ok!

yes it would be great if we could find the maps of where the zeppelins bombs dropped in sheffield, i do know there is a map for where the bombs dropped in second world war.

regards dean

When I worked in the steelworks all the drawings of the Steelwork's areas had the route of the Zeppelins drawn across them with notes in the margins giving the dates.

Where they had dropped their bombs were also marked on.

I often wondered what happened to those maps.

Happy Days!

Which steelworks did you work in?

The photo of the Zeppilin memorial posted by cat631 shows a new memorial.

There used to be an old cast iron one.

Does anyone know what happened to it?

I know it was very rusty and uncared for but but I presume it dated from the time of the first war.

It's a pity if it's been destroyed.

Hi Biker

I worked at the River Don works on Brightside Lane and the Grimesthorpe Works on Carlisle street.

In my job I did move around and worked at most of the steelworks owned by the British Steel Corporation.

Happy days Indeed!

Archived