WW1 volunteers wanted

dean1

While recording and photographing a few memorials for Dean, I have been pleasantly surprised to find some of them have been given a good clean. This one is tucked away in a corner of the playground in Tinsley Junior and Infants School and could do with a scrub. Havlng said that, when I asked permission to take a few pics, the lady in the school office informed me that recently, someone had been to examine the moss. Apparently, it's quite rare.

No4.jpg

Dean,

With reference to your project, I have one great uncle who was a WW1 casualty:

Harold Norton (Details to follow if you require them)

Walter Wildgoose (Ditto) not a direct relative but, husband of a relative.

I'll not post details in case you already have them. I'll post them to you or pm them to you if you require.

Regards,

Duffem

Hi Dean

Do you know where the memorial that once stood in Holy Trinity Church Darnall went to when it was demolished?

We know that it was last seen mid 80's by quite a few people, including me, at the vicarage on Mather Road but was moved to somewhere, not sure where.

We have had confirmation from Nat Inventry War Memorials, Kelham Island and Weston Park Museum that it is not in there possesion but where did it go to?

If anyone has any suggestions of where to look next please PM me.

Sue

Hi all, apologies for the lack of responce to your post's, but i have been snowed under at that place they call work!!

Duffem's, please post Harold and Walter's detail's if you will.

Sue, im afraid i have no knowledge of where the memorial from Holy Trinity is now located. hope some one can help out here to try and locate it.

regard's

Dean

Hi Dean !

I was searching for a family grave in Burngreave Cemetery the other day and came across a WW1 soldier's grave who had died in France

Here is the inscription if you haven't got his details carved on this military white gravestone¬

4278 C. Sergeant Major

GS Warneford

Machine Gun Corps (Int)

11th August 1916 Aged 25

'GREATER LOVE THAN THIS HATH NO MAN'

How poignant are those few words. There must be a story behind this tragic death as very few bodies were returned to be buried in the UK.

Does anyone know of this man's life?

Unhappy Days!

Hi Dean

I know you've got the Gen Cem down as being complete. Would you mind getting in touch though. We have a list of soldiers that we rely on when we get enquiries. It ranges from veterans of the Napoleonic wars and the Crimea to a number of soldiers who died at the Battle of the Somme. It would be good to double check this with you to see if we have anything missing, and vice versa.

I assume you've not including blitz victims in your survey of war dead ? We have several.

PM me, or you can ring us on 268 3486 weekdays

Regards

Sheffield General Cemetery Trust

Hi Dean !

I was searching for a family grave in Burngreave Cemetery the other day and came across a WW1 soldier's grave who had died in France

Here is the inscription if you haven't got his details carved on this military white gravestone¬

4278 C. Sergeant Major

GS Warneford

Machine Gun Corps (Int)

11th August 1916 Aged 25

'GREATER LOVE THAN THIS HATH NO MAN'

How poignant are those few words. There must be a story behind this tragic death as very few bodies were returned to be buried in the UK.

Does anyone know of this man's life?

Unhappy Days!

This is what is on the war graves commission website:-

Name: WARNEFORD, GEORGE IREDALE

Initials: G I

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 56th Coy.

Date of Death: 11/08/1916

Service No: 4278

Additional information: Husband of Elsie Warneford, of 8, Argyle St., Mexborough, Rotherham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: T4. "C." 41.

Cemetery: SHEFFIELD (BURNGREAVE) CEMETERY

During the First World War there were two substantial war hospitals in Sheffield, the Wharncliffe, in the Wadsley Asylum, and the 3rd Northern General, housed in 15 separate buildings. The city, a centre for war industry during the Second World War, suffered heavy enemy air-raids during the Blitz with 600 people killed in a single raid in December 1940. Sheffield (Burngreave) Cemetery contains scattered war graves of both wars. Behind the Cross of Sacrifice in plot JJ is a Screen Wall commemorating those First World War casualties whose graves could not be marked by headstones, most of them buried in the plot of ground immediately in front of it. In front of the Screen Wall are a number of Special Memorial headstones for Second World War casualties buried elsewhere in the cemetery whose graves could not be marked. In all, the cemetery contains 235 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 57 from the Second.

Archived