WW1 volunteers wanted

dean1

Hi Albert

on my list for Totley i have -

a memorial in all saints church

a memorial in Totley rise methodist church

a memorial at Cherrytree orphanage

Totley war memorial-baslow road

there might be individual memorial plaques inside the churches as well.

for Dore i have -

a memorial inside christ church

a memorial at St Johns Rooms (it was a VAD hospital during the war)

Dore war memorial - vicarage lane

thanks Albert

regards

Dean

Hi Albert

got one more addition for you which is

Dore & Totley united reform church on totley brook rd

also Albert the st johns room memorial is now situated in the post office sorting office abbeydale road south we think.

help on any of the above is much appreciated

regards

Dean & Donna

Dean

I don't know if you know about the memorials in the former gas company offices in Commercial Street, now the Chinese buffet restaurant? I think they are in the entrance or hallway and were covered up when the building was converted into a restaurant. I have been told recently that they have now been uncovered again, though I haven't looked myself.

Hugh

(Friends of Walkley Cemetery)

Hi There used to be a War Memorial on Effingham Road, just a few yards from where it starts on Attercliffe. I think it is to some civilians that were killed in one of the first air raids(a zepplin) in the 1st World War. I spoke to someone at the Library and they didn't know anything about it.

hi dean !

I'm here in Sheffield but leave for denmark tonight, will return mid July.

I'll sort some ww1 details out for you when I return.

It was good to put a face to a name the other day.

It was good talking to you, you are doing a really worthwhile job, good luck to you.

All the best

PopT

Dean

I don't know if you know about the memorials in the former gas company offices in Commercial Street, now the Chinese buffet restaurant? I think they are in the entrance or hallway and were covered up when the building was converted into a restaurant. I have been told recently that they have now been uncovered again, though I haven't looked myself.

Hugh

(Friends of Walkley Cemetery)

HI HUGH

thanks for that, definately check that one out.

i'll be up walkley this saturday, hope to see you.

Dean

Hi There used to be a War Memorial on Effingham Road, just a few yards from where it starts on Attercliffe. I think it is to some civilians that were killed in one of the first air raids(a zepplin) in the 1st World War. I spoke to someone at the Library and they didn't know anything about it.

Hi Gemini

got that one last week,just before Bacon Lane. thanks for the input though.

Dean

Hi Dean1

I have tried unsuccessfully to send you a private message about the WW1 war dead but unfortunately your private message facility on this forum has been blocked.

Look up the following site if you haven't already http:http://www.stannington.webitsmart.co.uk

the author is Robert Smith.

Hope this helps you.

PopT

Archived