WW1 volunteers wanted

dean1

Hi Dean

This is the 1st time using the Forum

I am recording all the names of the fallen listed on the Rotherham Memorial in Clifton Park. I have written some 40000 words so far & still going

I am also doing the same for the Chapeltown Memorial in the Chapeltown Park

Feel as though I can give you a lot of info

How can I get in touch with you to send info

Regards & good luck to your project

ARG21

ARG21

I will pm you

regards

Dean

hi cat361

all i have is a reference to parkgate iron & steel company from a website saying there is a ww1 memorial roll of honour but it does not state where it is, just Sheffield area.

if anybody know where it is located please let us know

many thanks

Dean & Donna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Loosemore

This tells us about the man and how he won his VC. While at Loosemore Drive, I met a resident who told me Sgt. Loosemore's sister lives there.

I have a few notes on the Loosemore family, as we lived about 100 yards from them at Woodland View. Arnold was badly injured in the war and was partially disabled; I can't be sure but I imagine that he died from the long-term effects of his injuries, as he was only 27. He married Amy Morton in 1920, and they had a son, also Arnold, born the following year. In the late 1950s Arnold junior and his wife Audrey took over the nearby off-licence shop in Stannington Road. I seem to recall that he sold his father's Victoria Cross via a London auction firm in about 1966-67; there was an article about it in The Star and it caused a bit of ill-feeling locally. They sold the shop and moved to the Shirecliffe/Southey Green area; as far as I know Arnold and Audrey are still alive in their 80s.

Hi Hilsbro

i downloaded his attestation papers from ancestry.com last week and they give the full details of his injuries. he was shot through both leg's. losing on of them. the family were left in dire strait's as he didn't qualify for a war pension, because he married after his war service had ended. sheffield rotary club did provide him with a pony and trap though! there is an excellent book written by Douglas Lamb, entitled LEST WE FORGET. there is a good amout about Arnold in there. (sorry mod's if that is advertising)

Dean

Hi Dean

The roll of honour names of employees of the Parkgate Iron & Steel Co who have joined His Majestys Forces European war is located in the Archives Section, Central Library, Walker Place, Rotherham.

I have a list of names that were transcribed on the memorial

The transcription was done by Mr F Westwood & Mr A Featherstone

I have a copy of monuments in the Rotherham area & location, also names etc on them

If you want any look ups please ask

Hi Les

thank's for the infomation.

the parkgate memorial is outside the boundarie's im using for this project. i included it tentatively because of a reference i noted a few month's back. i would still like the list of men that appear on there, if that is possible? as i would then cross reference them with SDGW.

a big thank you for the list's you sent me, although i already have them.

Re St John's churchyard at chapletown, i spoke to the ex vicar a few month's ago and he said that there were memorial's inside the church but some of them had bee removed.

a company of builder's have bought the church and i do have a name and number for possible access, so i need to chase that one up.

again, many thank's Les

regards

Dean

My great grandfather Walter Rawson who was killed in the first world war lived in the Newhall Road area of Attercliffe. This would have been in the parish of St.Clements which was demolished in 1963. Is anyone aware if the church had a war memorial listing the dead, and if so where it would be located ?

One interesting fact about St.Clements that I have found on the web, is that the original stained glass window from the church was preserved and is now itself a war memorial to the Second World War dead of Australia in Canberra.

http://www.skp.com.au/memorials2/pages/00025.htm

Hi Walt

the only thing i can add is this :

St Clement, Paget Street, Newhall.

originally referred to as the Eyre memorial church,st clements hall,sanderson street was erected in 1886. the parish was created in 1907 from St thomas,brightside. Consecrated 1914, demolished 1961.

Description of war memorial :

The War Memorial to 154 men who fell in the Great War consist's of an extremely beautiful stained "Kempe" window at the east end, erected at a cost of £600. The main subject is the Great Sacrifice on the Cross. in the central light is represented the Crucifiction; on the two adjacent light's are St Clement, the Patron Saint of the Church, with his emblem, an anchor; and St Peter with the emblematic key's and an open book with the text St Mathew xvi, 16, "Thou art the Christ," &c. In other part's are smaller figure's representing St Michael and the Dragon, David, Isaiah, Zechariah, and Daniel, each with a scroll on which is a text referring to the Great Sacrifice. There are also subordinate figure's of the Prohet's Joel, Micah, Amos, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Malachi. In the base appear's the inscription, "Remembering ye with thanksgiving and all honour before God and man those who went forth from Newhall to the Great War 1914-1919, and returned not again."

Sheffield Archive's have ;

Baptism's 1886-1961

Marriage's 1914-1961

Held in PR 35.

For St Clement's.

So the window in oz you found is the memorial! Well done Walt.

Might be worth an e-mail to oz for a close up of the window to see if there is a list of name's on there? although the description above doesn't mention one.

regard's

Dean

PS just found a close up of the window on the All Saint's website, cant see a roll of Honour.

Hi all

Re post 80:

passing the war memorial at Chapletown the other day, i now notice it is spick and span! cleaned and repointed. i gather then that the council? or some other body are on a maintainence spree of all war memorial's in sheffield, as every one i have visited recently is looking pristine.

anyone enlighten me?

my challenge to Chapletowner's still stand's!! Get it moved!

regard's

Dean

Archived