Neepsend - orginal name

I heard recently the Neepsend is a modern version of Nippers End named so because it was a site of human sacrifice. That is throwing nippers into the river for some pagan ritual.

Anyone know anything about this?

• 9 months later...

Old norse Nypr, ridge of high land, or Swedish and norwegian Nipa meaning a crag or steep river bank, hence Nipa end,

baptism's did take place at neepsend.

In 1297 it was referred to as Nepeshen Depole (Neepsend pool)

and in 1385 as Nypysend

Originally posted by retep

Old norse Nypr, ridge of high land, or Swedish and norwegian Nipa meaning a crag or steep river bank, hence Nipa end,

baptism's did take place at neepsend.

In 1297 it was referred to as Nepeshen Depole (Neepsend pool)

and in 1385 as Nypysend

Sounds very convincing. Can you support this by supplying your source?

Consise Oxford Dictionary of Place Names- NIP, dialect, means a steep ascent of a road or hill-from the Swedish and Norwegian NIPA meaning a crag or steep river bank,

NIPISEND from the 1297 subsidy roll,

NEEPISHEN DEPOLE occurs in a deed of 1361,

Also Addy wrote in the Sheffield Telegraph april 18th 1914 that the origins of Neepsend is old norse GNYPER or NYPR (neep)

a peak, and the ridge of high land which terminates at NEEPSEND

is the neep.

• 6 years later...

neeps end started at hillfoot bridge finished at5 arches called wards end in between it was called rawsons meadows the story I heard was mr rawson was illiterate and signed a paper that gave away his land I lived in the a b c streets opposite side of the river from club mill rd

• 1 year later...

Archived