Bread and dripping

i make my own every sunday and send some down for my mum she is 75 years old she as it every mornin on bread she swears by it she says it keeps her goin and in the winter she always says it keeps her warm i havent work that one out yet.::rolleyes:

THE KIDS TODAY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MISSING :love::love:

I remember Mrs Taylor on Grant Road in Owlerton.

She baked large oven bottom cakes and used to put them on a cloth to cool down on the kitchen window sill.

The smell of those freshly cooked cakes brought all the kids off the street waiting for her to cut one up and put some dripping on it.

The dripping used to melt nto the holes in the Oven cake slice with the heat and we would devour one of those slices in seconds.

G-d Bless her, I wonder if she is still baking up there and laughing at us reminiscing.

Happy Days!

When I was at the Central Tech. we used to buy bread & dripping from a little shop behind the Cathedral. One day the Headmaster, at morning assembly, gave us all a blast, "" I will not have pupils from this school ,walking around, in public, eating doorsteps".

Typical Wadgie lecture, Janner.

I remember him also objecting to pupils eating 'sweetmeats' on the school premises.

I don't know which planet he came from but he was high above 'us wee mortals' almost speaking a different language.

Happy Days though. PopT

• 5 years later...