Bread and dripping

rogGI have lived in Pennsylvania USA for almost fifty years and still miss a lot of the foods from home.There is an import shop I can get things from but, no meat products are allowed in the USA.

You live in one of my most favorite s places on earth, but must admit driving on the Confederation Bridge scares the daylights out of me.

Margaret

No problem on the bridge margaret as long as you don't go over when the winds are high. But I always prefer the ferry in summertime anyway. Nice and relaxing.

I just thought of a couple of other dishes from home that I miss a lot: meat and potato pie which my grandma used to make with a nice biscuity crust on it and steak and kidney pie. Folk over here turn their noses up at the "kidney" part of S & K pie, because the kidneys are used to make urine. What a lot of nonsense. The cooking gets rid of any miniscule amounts of that. We can get some English packaged foods at a specialty store in Halifax, which is a 4 hour drive from where I live. A guy from Nottingham opened a fruit/ veg and British import store and has become a millionaire as a result.

Talking of pork can you remember the hot pork sandwiches with crackling from Freidrichs in the Wicker.

I can remember those. I couldnt walk past the place without buying a couple- I tried to ignore it but that smell of cooking pork....irrisistable.

Mum always used beef dripping for cooking chips, and pork dripping for sarnis. Always had a smear of marmite on too.

At the time it was heaven on earth, now I only have mucky dripping on a pork sarni, or to add flavour to roast potato's whilst cooking ....... home made mucky dripping just can't be beat :D

Bread and drippin :love: we kept our drippin in a stone jar until it was set, then you'd get some of the nice jelly on the bottom , if you were lucky, nearly as good as egg and chips.....can't recall even seing a salad in those days, the rabbits got all the lettuce :hihi:

I am member of an Ex-Servicemans organisation and at our monthly meetings sandwiches with various fillings are served but one of our members is a retired butcher and when it is his turn to provide the refreshments he always supplies a load of bread and dripping which is always consumed first,and you have to get in quick!!!

Some years ago one of my late uncles, a Sheffielder born and bred had a very high engineering position in the Ford Motor Company when cars were made in UK!,he earned plenty of dosh, and he and my aunt lived in Leamington Spa,in those days very snooty,quite often when eating at some posh restaurant he would enquire if they had any bread and dripping, and you can imagine the looks he got from the waiters, but very often he also got his bread and dripping, and when my Mum and Dad went to visit them they always took six or seven bottles of another Sheffield speciality Hendersons Relish, unobtainable in those days in the posh shops of Royal Leamington Spa

I am member of an Ex-Servicemans organisation and at our monthly meetings sandwiches with various fillings are served but one of our members is a retired butcher and when it is his turn to provide the refreshments he always supplies a load of bread and dripping which is always consumed first,and you have to get in quick!!!

Some years ago one of my late uncles, a Sheffielder born and bred had a very high engineering position in the Ford Motor Company when cars were made in UK!,he earned plenty of dosh, and he and my aunt lived in Leamington Spa,in those days very snooty,quite often when eating at some posh restaurant he would enquire if they had any bread and dripping, and you can imagine the looks he got from the waiters, but very often he also got his bread and dripping, and when my Mum and Dad went to visit them they always took six or seven bottles of another Sheffield speciality Hendersons Relish, unobtainable in those days in the posh shops of Royal Leamington Spa

The Ex Servicemens organisation couldn't be the establishment on city rd by any chance could it?