Crashers to Ashes: Gatecrasher burns down.

Stockers

Absolutely gutted I left work at 5 to meet someone, I work on Floor 9 of Redvers House I would have been able to have got a great view if I stayed another 1/2 hour as I usually do. I left to go to the gym at Ponds Forge though didn't get in there while about 5.45 and I didn't even notice anything. Afterwards I got the 41 home, going past the train station on the bus which isn't far away from crasher and I didn't even notice anything, I must have been reading something interesting.

I'm devastated though every weekend I'm there without fail, looks like the leadmill from now on. It was needing a refurb but I don't anyone would have wished that upon it. At least I didn't pay £10 for membership on Saturday though, on the bright side

I have a photo studio very close by and was passing Gatecrasher very shortly after the fire started and before the cordon grew to half the city.

Uploading loads of photos now, and for the next hour or so, to my photolibrary at: avidimages.com

That said, this must be one of the most photographed events in Sheffield's history!

Jx

Good photos, but did you get one of the end gable collapsing? I saw it happen, but unfortunately I only had my poxy mobile phone camera on me which takes two minutes to work through the menues to even find the photo function, so I missed the opportunity.

We must be just grateful that the Emergency Services did a fantastic job in protecting life and limb, and nobody was hurt or killed.

from the gatecrasher website:

"It is with great sadness that we have to inform you of some shocking news. At around 5pm this afternoon a serious fire broke out at our flagship venue Gatecrasher One in Sheffield. At this moment in time there is little more to add other than that we will keep you posted with updates as developments arise. Rest assured, this will not keep us down; a phoenix will rise from the ashes..."

I really hope so :(

They could return to the Adelphi in Attercliffe.

Sad about the old industrial building going, I presume it will end up being demolished and the land sold off for some crappy developement.

Crasher Mews - a prestigous development of luxurious one and two bedroomed city living spaces....

See for latest news of the fire: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=227573

After the smoke hs cleared, we all hope that Gatecrasher will pick itself up and look at least for a temporary home while its multi million pound palace is rebuilt.

Does anyone have possible suggestions? The cllub's management might look at refurbishing a currently disused venue nearby such as the old Niche (But thats a bit small), or a larger one such as the old Roxy (Empty for donkey's years). Then there is the disused Hallam Uni union.

Any kind landlords who might warm to a request to 'gimme shelter' to one of the North's most illustrious entertainment venues???

Best of luck to GC in getting over this catastrophe.:(

I heard the old Hallam Union was being knocked down and turned into a new hotel. I don't think Roxys is safe to use, whilst I fear using the old Niche building will attract some of the old "bad" crowd which used to frequent there.

Can't think of anywhere else personally but keep the suggestions coming.

Fire breaks out at Gatecrasher One

It is with great sadness that we have to inform you of some shocking news. At around 5pm this afternoon a serious fire broke out at our flagship venue Gatecrasher One in Sheffield. At this moment in time there is little more to add other than that we will keep you posted

Thankyou for the hundreds of emails and messages of condolence that we've received over the last few hours, there have been many touching testimonies of high times, fun and frolics Gatecrasher One. It is times like these when you the clubber show us how much of an important institution we have created...

Just remember, that which hurts will only make us stronger, and those who know Gatecrasher will be fully aware that the Lion always grows stronger in times of adversity; of course this is saddening news for us all but we are now only thinking of striding forward into a new era of Gatecrasher as we brush ourselves off and stand tall.

Events at Gatecrasher One are cancelled until further notice

Watch this space for further info.

Gatecrasher forever xx

Archived