Crashers to Ashes: Gatecrasher burns down.

Stockers

And from Judge Jules:

"DJ Judge Jules told BBC Radio 1 he was "dumbfounded and lost for words" by the loss of the club.

He said: "I am devastated, not just from the perspective of the impact on dance music and the dance scene, but for me it is probably the one club where I cut my teeth more than anywhere else.

"Everything was done to perfection - the lighting was really great compared to other clubs, it's got a fantastic sound system and just this vista of a crowd that was better than just about any other venue.

"They are very much flying the flag for new music and new styles."

The fire seemed to take hold incredibly quickly. The Star talks about the fibre glass seating and acrylic walls and maybe this was one of the reasons the smoke was so thick and toxic. Makes you wonder what would have happened if a fire had started when the place was full.

The fire seemed to take hold incredibly quickly. The Star talks about the fibre glass seating and acrylic walls and maybe this was one of the reasons the smoke was so thick and toxic. Makes you wonder what would have happened if a fire had started when the place was full.

I mentioned that to my OH last night. It seemed that the fire took hold very quickly, and had this happened when the club was packed with drunk people, it might have been a lot, lot worse.

hello folk, i went to see the crasher today and its totally guttered there is no way you can rebuild from that mess. i spoke to someone there and they said it tuck 40mins to burn totally through because it was full of wood and cosmetics.

They sold make up!!?:o

Thanks for all the nice comments about my slide show. :thumbsup:

http://ajpl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gatecrasher_fire/index.html

yes finally, the end of drug den lol .. being from sheffield i knew it as REPUBLIC! not crasher.. but yea im glad nobody was hurt or injured but so happy its gone !

I can't work some people out! Why are you happy its gone? It put Sheffield on the map internationally If you didn't like it then you didn't have to go there.

If Embrace had burnt down then I'd say "shame, a few people have lost their jobs but its just a nightclub" ... but this club was different, yeah ok during the week it was just a club, but its history is amazing and the occasional events put sheffield on the map. What else is Sheffield famous for? Meadowhall? Just another shopping centre!

Rant over!

I heard that the fire could have started in the DJ booth.

it would make sense! electrical equipment and all that .. and above the dj box was a store room then the roof. The news says could be arson but thats jus routine ... and the inside job rumours are jus funny! If you've got a business thats not loosing money, you sell it, you don't set fire to it!

I can't work some people out! Why are you happy its gone? It put Sheffield on the map internationally If you didn't like it then you didn't have to go there.

I have read so many threads on here where people say Sheffield lags behind Leeds and Manchester when it comes to night life, yet so many people seem happy to see their choices limited further and seem to rejoice in the loss of a quality club.

I can't work it out either obvious, and i don't even like dance music.

Archived