The National Anthem

Originally posted by DaBouncer

YOU ARE SLAGGING OFF THE TRADITION (THAT BEING OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM AND THE WORDS THEREIN) BY OFFERING PATHETIC SONGS IN IT'S PLACE THAT ARE NOTHING BUT A P*** TAKE AGAINST BRITISH SOCIETY.

{takes out earplugs}

I would say that musically God Save the King/Queen [delete as applicable] is utter doggerel, a ponderous, dirge with no vitality or vigour. it really is pathetic. Tragic even.

Frank Zappa's Titties and Beer on the other hand is an audio feast that flips through genres and movements with a rapid fire vocal track telling the story of a pact with the devil that goes badly wrong (for the devil). Quite stunning tune.

Thank you Cosy, piont noted.

Maybe some of our American cousins have a point about the sanctity of their national anthem.

What's the problem with loving your own country and respecting the national anthems that represents it?

I don't think we are 'brainwashed sheep' just for wanting others to respect OUR national anthem too.;)

JEEEEZZZZZ..........why get so het up over a bloody song.....

We could try something along the line of the Texas State anthem

'Texas our Texas, all hail the mighty state, Texas our Texas, so wonderful, so great.' - a real acheivement - so bombastic, so lacking in finesse...:o:lol:

England, our England, all hail our mighty land

England, our England, so fabulous, so grand...etc.

Hmm...has promise:lol: :lol:

It's gonna seem a little bittersweet now but I was actually just having Phanerothyme on. I don't actually care what the National Anthem is (I only learned what the words were in 1999...when I was 21). Although I am patriotic to my country I am by no means attached to the bloody song!

But you all believed I was... thanks for the entertaining morning folks.... it's passed it along pretty well.

I will have to check out that Titties and Beer song Phanerothyme, I'll search for it later!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's gonna seem a little bittersweet now but I was actually just having Phanerothyme on. I don't actually care what the National Anthem is (I only learned what the words were in 1999...when I was 21). Although I am patriotic to my country I am by no means attached to the bloody song!

You touched on some interesting topics though-

what is a tradition?

what is Tradition

is it always good?

how do things start and stop being traditional

- and that's what I meant about too many bottles of breakfast...you were behaving like you'd got up started drinking heavily this morning, all self righteous like.

Tradition = 2 cups of coffee every morning, 1/2 a bottle of wine on worknights, a ciggie greak when it all starts kicking off...

and falling for wind-ups on the b****y internet!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

You a bad lad DB:P

I suppose you're right Phanerothyme, what is tradition and should it be a facto in today's society?

Before we get to in depth on the topic, maybe this should be another thread... would you like to do the honours?

And yes Cosy, I AM a bad lad

:twisted:;)

• 1 year later...

I've been considering this subject lately. I think when the Queen, bless her, pops her clogs, it would be a good time for a change.

I really like the idea of Blue Monday myself, as long as it's the 12 inch version with that great intro.

I think We Will Rock You by Queen would be great too, really get you in the mood before a big international match in football.

Archived