A blacksmith's near the Lyceum

Good One, Hazel,

I think you're exactly right, and I'm glad someone else can remember the blacksmith's.

Which school did you go to?

I went to the College of Arts and Crafts on Arundel Street,

opposite the bottom of Surrey Street. When I started there I lived in Attercliffe, so I used to walk down Sycamore Street to catch a tram in Fitzallan Square.

Before I left we'd moved to Middlewood, but I would still go down Sycamore and then cut through Milk Street and Change Alley to go down Snig hill to the Bridge street bus station.

Milk St went off the bottom of Sycamore St witch led into Norfolk St just across from Change Alley. Change Alley led into High St where Walshs was a pile of rubble. On Milk St was the Postmans Club.

hazel

I wish I had a memory as good as yours.

My memory comes and goes which is quite frustrating at times.

But I travelled that route for years and wandered among the bombed buidings.

I went from Arbourthorne Rd to St Vincents School on Solly St and later on to Notre Dame. So knew all the streets in between as we varied the journey.

Pond St, Pond's Hill, ( at the top of Pond Hill was a newspaper stand that sold Captain Marvel comics ) Sycamore St, Milk St, Change Alley, across the rd to Cockaynes ( think there was a policeman to help cross the rd ), round the back of the Telegraph and Star, St Pauls Close, Paradise Square, down by the Tram Sheds, and up Solly St and always late for school.

hazel

I remember when the Odeon (now the bingo hall) was built using the existing steel work that was supposed to house the new Joseph Rodgers works. Behind it was Milk Street housing the Post Office club and the B&C Co-Op's staff canteen was at the bottom of Sycamore Street. Going up Sycamore Street there was the rear door to Wilks ironmongers and the Adelphi at the top at the corner with Tudor Way.

Where are all the photographs, there must be some?

I remember when the Odeon (now the bingo hall) was built using the existing steel work that was supposed to house the new Joseph Rodgers works. Behind it was Milk Street housing the Post Office club and the B&C Co-Op's staff canteen was at the bottom of Sycamore Street. Going up Sycamore Street there was the rear door to Wilks ironmongers and the Adelphi at the top at the corner with Tudor Way.

Where are all the photographs, there must be some?

You will find all the photographs and evidence you need in David Richardson's book 'Remember Sheffield in the 50's, 60's, 70's'. You will perhaps find this in the Central Library, Surrey Street.

Archived