Favourite Pubs & Bars

goldenfleece

Will turn this into a vote at a later stage but if everyone can post uyp there nominated TOP 5 Sheffield City Centre bars or pubs, we can see what an interesting and diverse mix of venues we get. Restricted to City Centre bars/pubs only, for this purpose within the confines of the main ring road, so not just S1 but a few hundred square metres of S10, 2,3, et al.

Bars and pubs only, not late bars performing night club functions, ie Flares, but other late bars will be fine as long as they dont turn into the equivalent of a night-club re dancing, etc. Reasons for choices will also be interesting, aspecially if unusual or off the beaten track places. Lets see what we get.....

MY TOP FIVE CURRENT SHEFFIELD CITY CENTRE PUBS

NOT IN ANY ORDER

THE NELSON (re-vamped and re-discovered rock bar which really kicks on a Saturday, superb, just a bit too small)

THE BATH HOTEL (off West Street, traditional and unmodernised, great real ale and does not leave a hole in your wallet....real change from the pulse of West Street)

THE SPORTSMAN (Cambridge STreet rock pub, unmodernised, good vibes, great change from the scurry of Division Street and refurbished bars)

FROG AND PARROT (Long time fave pub, great beers and a superb mix of students and locals)

THE BROWN BEAR (very much not known by many other than old Sheffield locals, a real time warp old style pub stuck in the 1970's....yet lively at the weekend)

Go for it....lets here everyone elses faves...

Wig and Pen, Campo Lane - I just like the odd building.

Bath Hotel - for the beer

All Bar One - no kids

Halcyon, Division Street - I don't know why I like it I just do

Sola, Behind the cathedral - Just a relaxing bar

I used to drink in the Brown Bear too, but recently it smells like a wet ashtray so I don't go anymore.

I has to be without a doubt the good old Yorkshire Grey.

I remember my dad taking me in there when I was a wee lad before the Game. Have many a good memories in there and seen many staff come and go.

It's a shame to see it in the sorry state it is at the mo with what I call Thnderbird 5 looming over it (The big white crane with 5 on it for some reason)

It's been the place of choice to drink during the day or before we hit the town for well over 3 years now. Every Friday from 7pm, Pint of Timmy in had, chilling out before we confront the hustle and bussle of further up town, and obviously the cheeky women

;)

Deano

yeah i like the yorkshire grey, shame its gonna go.

my fav pub isent in the city centre, the cromoren (think thats how its spelt), on london road is me local.

Can anybody recommend pubs for pool? Wouldnt mind heading down rylies near the portacottage down eccy road but dont know what i need to sign up. Do i need a current member with me for them allow me to sign up?

Also been looking for places that have Caffreys on tap, so far ive only seen it at the globe, anybody noticed it anywhere else?

Archived