Does anybody remember outside toilets in back to back houses

I think that my mum used squares from the Daily Mail (well, she was a bit posh...) Outside loos were freezing cold in winter, so you didn't stay there longer than absolutely necessary. And they used to freeze up. I once hurried back to the house and fell flat on my face - I hadn't noticed the frozen puddle. Happy days...

P.S. I like the Lenin quotation in BorderReiver's signature "A lie told often enough..." It reminds me of a quotation from Molotov - "The trouble with free elections is that you can never be sure of the result".

• 2 months later...

my gran lived in a one up one down Watery Lane and shared the toilet with the next door neighbours who had a son who sang like Dean Martin all the time he was using the toilet.When the singing stopped you knew the toilet was empty and you could the go.And how annoying when you were reading the newspaper on the back of the door

and the interesting part had already been ripped off.

When I was a kid we had outside toilets. We had to share with our neighbour. It was in a communal backyard. However, prior to that there were Middens which had been left standing when the new outside loo was built. People will not believe this at all, but it is true - they actually had double seats (two, side by side). I once got a clip round my ears, as I had been in the flush loo and whilst I was there I had picked a lot of the limewash off the wall. The floor was covered in it. We didn't have any electricity or hot water. There was a 'set pot' (copper) in the kitchen corner - we had to light a fire under it to get hot water. We had a Yorkshire Range in the living room and a gas ring in the kitchen.

Remember it well at mi Gran's.

Nail on the door for the newspaper...oil lamp to stop it freezing.

I remember when mi Gran bought her first roll of Izal, and mi Grandad played hell with her.

He said it spread it, instead of wiped!

• 1 month later...

I lived on Ripon Street 50's to 1969. Our lav waas about 25 yards away. Had to go for a sit down with an umbrella because some git had nicked the slates off the roof. One day dad gave me a crack because I`d used the bit of paper he had been reading earlier and he hadn't finished reading the article. Sad things about newspaper though it spread rather than wiped.

Archived