Old fashioned meals

what meals did you have when you were young, i was talking the other day with my work mates and laughing at some of meals we ate and loved them ......... i remember bread and dripping,liver and onions yuk, meat and potato pie, stew and dumplings, yuk, dont mind them now, friday was always fish day, rabbit stew how gross, shephards pie just mince and onions how boring, everything was all home made.scallops, just thinly sliced potatoes in batter yum,oh and chips and spam, my mum used to make a meat and potato pie and with the left over pastry would make jam tarts and apple pies, if we didn,t want anything what my mum put on the table there wasn,t anything else how things have changed

We,us old foggies, were only talking today about the same subject.If our mother put something on the table there was never a discussion about what it was you just ate it & glad of it.I can`t ever remember leaving anything on my plate at home,but fair to say my mother was brilliant cook.My mothers Suet Dumplings with custard were out of this world.I can still taste them.

You are right, I remember all the old stuff,:D but as we didn't know anything else it was all good!!! At least it wasn't full of all the E-numbers like it is today! But would I liketo go back to it??? ....Would I hellaslike!!! wot ****e it was!!!:gag:

You are right, I remember all the old stuff,:D but as we didn't know anything else it was all good!!! At least it wasn't full of all the E-numbers like it is today! But would I liketo go back to it??? ....Would I hellaslike!!! wot ****e it was!!!:gag:

I would go back to that style of cooking tomorrow if it were possible.

what meals did you have when you were young, i was talking the other day with my work mates and laughing at some of meals we ate and loved them ......... i remember bread and dripping,liver and onions yuk, meat and potato pie, stew and dumplings, yuk, dont mind them now, friday was always fish day, rabbit stew how gross, shephards pie just mince and onions how boring, everything was all home made.scallops, just thinly sliced potatoes in batter yum,oh and chips and spam, my mum used to make a meat and potato pie and with the left over pastry would make jam tarts and apple pies, if we didn,t want anything what my mum put on the table there wasn,t anything else how things have changed
coincidence,this week ive had liver and onions,i made a meat and tater pie and today ive started on the stew for tomorrow, cant afford rabbits now at almost £ 4 each ,ive just finished off the apple pie i made today,things like micro wave meals dont taste the same as real grub,and ill bet theres more calorific benefit in the box they come in than the actual food

And then of cause we had bread and suger bread and sauce,bread and lard,and did your mum make bread pudding with all the stale bread and was there always a big earthenware dish of rice pudding in the oven ? and did your dad always have a pair of Bloaters for his tea ? That was our house

Archived