Old fashioned meals

i can remember going to the fish market on a saturday sometimes with my nannan and she would get tripe,hocks and summat called chicklin & bag urggggh! i would stand there gipping and she would say "funny cow" lol. she would tuck into the tripe like it was a banquet,she loved the stuff!

i also remember them having bread & sugar or lard.

i can remember going to the fish market on a saturday sometimes with my nannan and she would get tripe,hocks and summat called chicklin & bag urggggh! i would stand there gipping and she would say "funny cow" lol. she would tuck into the tripe like it was a banquet,she loved the stuff!

i also remember them having bread & sugar or lard.

i remember my dad used to have chicklin and bag i used to like the chicklin but not the bag but i dont like it now. just looking at it puts me off.

Chicklin??? I think you'll find its "Chitterlings" which is actually the large intestine of a pig.

God they used to eat some things.....remember seeing the most gruesome bits and bobs in the butchers like a full tongue, half a sheeps head, pressed face (whatever that was), beasts cheek, pigs trotters and cow heel.

How did we survive? What with that and all the fat and butter we used to scoff, permanent passive smoking and outside bogs.

They don't know they're born these days!

Chicklin??? I think you'll find its "Chitterlings" which is actually the large intestine of a pig.

God they used to eat some things.....remember seeing the most gruesome bits and bobs in the butchers like a full tongue, half a sheeps head, pressed face (whatever that was), beasts cheek, pigs trotters and cow heel.

How did we survive? What with that and all the fat and butter we used to scoff, permanent passive smoking and outside bogs.

What about roast chap? Which is actually the pigs cheek; comes complete with the jaw bone and teeth. You can still buy it; its fatty but delicious and the crackling's superb!

It's a funny old game this food lark. I remember an old sailor telling me about the

kulacks on the Volga stealing the tallow tub from their ship to eat.

The tallow was used to grease the steam winch on board.

I could never believe anyone could eat tallow until I read two things, one was the contents of a packet of Stork margarine which stated the main constituent was tallow.

The other was an old written account of schoolkids in Stoney Middleton being sent to school with a slice of bread for their breakfast.

As they passed the Tannery they would dip their bread into the tallow which floated on the top of the vats as they boiled the animal hides to remove the fat.

All this seems a million miles from today's standards but is it?

At least in those days people knew what they were putting down their necks.

Today we seem quite content to eat and drink all kinds of preservatives, E numbered chemicals and anything else we do not seem to know about and readily scoff at anyone who eats natural products.

Just think on posters when you air your comments on these foodstuffs.

Happy Days!

At least in those days people knew what they were putting down their necks.

Today we seem quite content to eat and drink all kinds of preservatives, E numbered chemicals and anything else we do not seem to know about and readily scoff at anyone who eats natural products.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time will tell.We ate good nutritious food which gave us a good start in life.Todays youth,i feel sorry for them when they eat this fast food garbage.I mean you only have to walk past a Mac Donalds & the smell is enough to put me off for life.

:hihi::hihi: just goes to show that the old ways are the best,ive made one concession,i use oil now instead of lard for frying :hihi:

Archived