Old fashioned meals

heres something i really miss, carbon steel knives,you could get a very sharp edge by using the back door step or window sill,unlike this modern stainless that doesnt keep an edge for long,any body got any old carbon knives they dont want ?

i love to cook the old style meals like meat and pot pie, sheperds pie, stew and dumplings but working fulll time and not getting home til 6 then have to start doing packed lunch etc for the next day it would be about 10 before we ate so we have convenience food in the week, so satdi we make a point of visiting my in laws and mum in law is a wonderful cook, everything is done from scratch even if it is a full sunday roast, no frozen veg etc all fresh, i love her cooking, roast, liver, rissoto, fry up not matter what it is it is all delish :)

• 1 year later...
Chicklin??? I think you'll find its "Chitterlings" which is actually the large intestine of a pig.

God they used to eat some things.....remember seeing the most gruesome bits and bobs in the butchers like a full tongue, half a sheeps head, pressed face (whatever that was), beasts cheek, pigs trotters and cow heel.

How did we survive? What with that and all the fat and butter we used to scoff, permanent passive smoking and outside bogs.

They don't know they're born these days!

pressed face! my dad still makes it occasionally,its all the meat from a pigs face, boiled up then put into asmall press till it set,then slicrd up on a sandwich with some brown sauce. oh its also known as brawn,nowt better.

Rather apt to come across this thread at this time as I am without my fridge freezer for another 3 weeks and am having to try and remember some of the stuff that we used to have before my parents ever got theirs. I never realised how we have become so reliant on something and shopping at the moment is a nightmare. Knowing what to get and just getting the right amount and making do with what I have got.

Don't even have a cool room or a proper window sill, so no milk, just powdered stuff. At least in the old days there was a pantry or cellar head. I have always made meat and potato pies so that will carry on and I shall be looking on here for any more ideas.:thumbsup:

My dad loves Chitterlin and bag, and tripe and cowheel.

My mother used to do "beast heart", which she roasted and then diced, and as a special treat (? !!) :gag: she used to roast my dad a pig' chap (the face of a pig). It used to make me gip :gag: I couldn't abide seeing the eye looking at me!

I've boiled pork hocks for my pop in the past, and made very passable rabbit stews (my granny's favourite, that was! :) I'd do her a stew, and portion it up into the freezer so the home help could just get the portion out, heat it, and serve it up for her, to tempt her appetite when she wouldn't eat)

My mum would do apple sandwiches, banana sandwiches, (My favourite, even now!) and she'd do bread-and-sugar, occasionally for us.

Rather apt to come across this thread at this time as I am without my fridge freezer for another 3 weeks and am having to try and remember some of the stuff that we used to have before my parents ever got theirs. I never realised how we have become so reliant on something and shopping at the moment is a nightmare. Knowing what to get and just getting the right amount and making do with what I have got.

Don't even have a cool room or a proper window sill, so no milk, just powdered stuff. At least in the old days there was a pantry or cellar head. I have always made meat and potato pies so that will carry on and I shall be looking on here for any more ideas.:thumbsup:

Joan, did your son get home for Xmas as planned? And did he manage to get some of your meat-and-tater pie with Henderson's as he hoped?

Archived