Old fashioned meals

sorry, im gonna be really dim, but whats a bloater?

and will i like it? :help:

x

My mom used to like a bloater, but only the ones with soft roe. I can remember going to the fishmongers and asking 2 bloaters please, soft roe's and do you know they were always right. I didn't mind the hard ones but....preferred soft. They are/were a bit fiddly though with lots of fine bones and you really have to concentrate when eating them. I know the fishmonger would fillet them but it took so much of the meat away that we never bothered and yes they are herrings. I never did find out why they were called bloaters:)

dumplings & custurd?? never had that. sounds a bit iffy.

never had you must have been one of them rich kids, the dumplings are filled with all sort of goodies like apple,dates , currants or all three as in spot-ed dick yum yum:hihi:

When I was a kid my grandparents used to speak of eating pigeon pie when they were young, that would be early 20th c.

Anyone else heard of this and were pigeons reared especially for the table?

Pigeon pie was lovely, they didn't use feral pigeons that you see flying round the streets, they would be wood pigeons, which were wild, and they weren't bred specially, just plenty of them back then.

When I was a kid my grandparents used to speak of eating pigeon pie when they were young, that would be early 20th c.

Anyone else heard of this and were pigeons reared especially for the table?

When I was a child of about three or four, my father used to go shooting on a Sunday morning. He'd regularly bring us back a couple of rabbits or some pigeons for the pot.

They were usually wood pigeons, BTW.

Some of my faves were at school! Cobblers! Mince with like flat dumpling thingies on top mmmmmmmm, cheese croquetes and my number one favourite, cheese pie :D Maggie Mays at Hillsborough do a homemade cheese pie which tastes just like schools.

I've eaten and enjoyed most of the meals mentioned on the thread, some favourites being cow heel and leg beef, ash and dumpling's, stuffed beast heart, soft roes, and chicklin and bag but whose tried pike? Many people don't like it, I loved it, haven't had it for years but I remember my father bringing them home after his fishing trips in the fifties, and my mother gutting and preparing them, the sight of half digested roach spilling on the kitchen table was quite a shock. As I remember they were kept in salted water for 24 hours before cooking, delicious but the bones were a pain. Looking back to those days it amazes me how mothers of the time knew how to cook whatever was placed in front of them without resorting to any fancy cook book, which they didn't have anyway.

When I was a child of about three or four, my father used to go shooting on a Sunday morning. He'd regularly bring us back a couple of rabbits or some pigeons for the pot.

They were usually wood pigeons, BTW.

Rabbit Pie takes me back a few yrs though we usually had rabbit stew. I can see the rabbits now hung from the stalls at the Sheaf market just opposite from the bottom of Dixon Lane.

Rabbits are rarely eaten here although when I lived in Newfoundland rabbit pie was a specialty. The rabbits were wild ones, really hares, and quite gamey. I've also partaken of seal meat but not intending to provoke a controversy.

Archived