Old fashioned meals

My mum had lived through the war so we had some funny food lol

we had liver and bacon casserole, pigs trotters , toad in hole, spam fritters homemade ones, braised beef steak, home made beef mince made into shepards pie ( mince with a spongie mincer) stew and dumplings.

One of my favorite pudding is bread and butter, we had steamed jam , treacle and chocolate sponges, blamonge and jelly.

My mum had lived through the war so we had some funny food lol

we had liver and bacon casserole, pigs trotters , toad in hole, spam fritters homemade ones, braised beef steak, home made beef mince made into shepards pie ( mince with a spongie mincer) stew and dumplings.

One of my favorite pudding is bread and butter, we had steamed jam , treacle and chocolate sponges, blamonge and jelly.

Nothing funny about any of that(except jelly and blancmange) Proper food!

never had you must have been one of them rich kids, the dumplings are filled with all sort of goodies like apple,dates , currants or all three as in spot-ed dick yum yum:hihi:

there were no rich kids on tunwell avenue in,t early sixty,s. not that your dumplings dont sound nice,just that i only ever recall havin dumplings with stew! and that were made with horse meat!!

One meal that my gran always gave us as kids was bangers and mash, but the sausages were boiled in milk with onion, and then the milk made into a white sauce and poured over the sausages and mash. It was the most wonderful meal and I still make it now, but I have never come across anyone else who has heard of it. Gran worked as a cook when she was in service, so maybe she learned it then.

Another of my grans recipes was potato salad made with cold mashed potatoes with salad cream and chopped onions stirred into it. Really lovely :)

When I was a child of about three or four, my father used to go shooting on a Sunday morning. He'd regularly bring us back a couple of rabbits or some pigeons for the pot.

They were usually wood pigeons, BTW.

yes my memorys are similar,afreind and neighbour in the late 60,s usedto go shooting on a sunday morning and my dad would come back from the pub with either rabbits,hare or pidgeons,wich i had to pluck or skin,draw and clean.40 years on and nothing has come close to the smell of a rabbits innards:

we didn't have a deal of money, when I was a child, but to my mother and father's credit, we always had (clean) clothes on our backs, shoes on our feet, food in our stomachs, and coal for the fire. We never went without, materially.

Maybe the clothes or shoes were second hand, but what did that matter so long as they were clean? and my mother was an utter wizz, with the food she made. She could make the barest amount stretch, and by doing things like braising the cheaper cuts of meat, make a tasty, hearty meal for her family. Her stews were legendary.

The rabbits and pigeons my dad brought home padded out what little we had, and helped my mother eke her budget further.

I have to take my hat off to my parents, for the way we were provided for.

Nothing makes my mouth water more than the thought of my grandad's yorkshire pudding. He perfected his skills as a cook at a pow camp in sheffield during ww1. Roast (or "joint") on the upper rack of the oven dripping juices down into the yorkshire pudding batter on the rack below. None of these little muffin sized puddings full of air. A real pudding done in a good sized baking pan then cut into squares, served with gravy as an appetizer before the main meal. Can just taste it now.:thumbsup:

Nothing makes my mouth water more than the thought of my grandad's yorkshire pudding. He perfected his skills as a cook at a pow camp in sheffield during ww1. Roast (or "joint") on the upper rack of the oven dripping juices down into the yorkshire pudding batter on the rack below. None of these little muffin sized puddings full of air. A real pudding done in a good sized baking pan then cut into squares, served with gravy as an appetizer before the main meal. Can just taste it now.:thumbsup:

We would have our yorkshire pud for an appetizer first, then with the roast then with jam on it for a sweet after , talk about health eating, never heard of such a thing back then :hihi:

My mum always served Yorkshire pudding first, it was never served as part of a meal like today. When we had roast pork she always cooked season puddings, made with sage, thyme and grated onion. I can still smell them cooking now, mine don't taste the same somehow. My dad liked yorkshires with currants or raisins in, but to me sweet ones didn't taste the same. What about good old fashioned rice pudding, with a lovely brown skin on? mmmmmmm!!!

Rabbit Pie takes me back a few yrs though we usually had rabbit stew. I can see the rabbits now hung from the stalls at the Sheaf market just opposite from the bottom of Dixon Lane.

Rabbits are rarely eaten here although when I lived in Newfoundland rabbit pie was a specialty. The rabbits were wild ones, really hares, and quite gamey. I've also partaken of seal meat but not intending to provoke a controversy.

Seemingly, Friday was rabbit pie day!

http://www.jilldaniels.com/Run%20Rabbit%20Run.htm

Archived