Does Sheffield have soul?

Hi

I'm due to return to Sheffield in July after a couple of years away and I was hoping someone would be able to tell me about any soul nights that are going on?

Also, where are the 'hot spots' now for a 30-something single girl to go out and enjoy a vino or two?

Sounds excellent! Right, I'll make a bee-line for there definitely! Is there much dancing?? Any talc on the dancefloor??

Unfortunately there is no talc on the floor, you can dance if you wish. We are available for requests if you have some classic favourites you would like to hear.

P.m me with the details and we will see what we can do.

Good afternoon Tufty.

Yeah, I'd be quite interested too. I just assumed there wouldn't be much happening around our area for those of a soulful and funky persuasion?

I love 80's soul (i.e. bands like Slave, Dayton, Universal Robot Band etc), the kind of stuff DJ Richard Searling used to play when he was with Radio Hallam. Oh it takes me back.....

Ah! Mr Searling is still a legend in the North West. His Soul Sauce programme is still popular on a Saturday night with 'a cellar full of soul' beautifully finishing an evening off and gets you ready for a night out. Going to have to listen through the web once I move. Smooth Radio if you fancy catching it!

Thanks for that, I'll try and catch it. I wondered what he was up to, I think he went to Red Rose radio (Lancashire?) after Hallam, but then I lost track of him. Those were the days eh? I'm smiling just thinking about it! The last decent soul music I've heard in a club or pub was when DJ Parrot used to chuck on the odd few tracks when he played "Ocassions" (above the old KiKi's nightclub on Charter Square) many years ago, I still remeber getting giddy when he played 'Rescue Me' by Sybil Thomas. We're due for a soul revival, surely!

Well I tend to get myself to Blackburn and Stoke for the nights there when I can and believe me the soul scene is still alive and well!! From what I gather it has changed a bit from back in the day (I'm too young to remember!!) and some people get a bit hacked off with us young 'uns coming along, but without us it's going to die and that would be awful. There's nothing like feeling the stomp through the dancefloor, watching people dancing and letting the music take you away!!..... giddy giddy I WANT TO GO DANCING!!

Put 'Long After Tonight Is All Over' Jimmy Radcliffe on and love it!! That tune was made for a big dance hall!

Someone PLEASE give us a night!

Archived