Does Sheffield have soul?

Hi

There are a number of people coming from out of town for Love&Happiness. It would be nice if the Sheffield soulies supported it too.

If you know someone into soul music let them know about the 29th please

Thanks

Hi, do you have any flyers for this event that you could drop off at the Green Room for me. We will be doing our regular stuff (northern, tamla, atlantic, stax etc) on the bar from 8pm on the 29th but will be definately heading your way for a few late night grooves. I will let our regular crowd know that there is some later night soul shananigans after our early show.

Jay.

Hi, do you have any flyers for this event that you could drop off at the Green Room for me. We will be doing our regular stuff (northern, tamla, atlantic, stax etc) on the bar from 8pm on the 29th but will be definately heading your way for a few late night grooves. I will let our regular crowd know that there is some later night soul shananigans after our early show.

Jay.

Sure will Jay.

Thanks very much

• 1 month later...

Hi

This might be of interest.

Snake Davis and The Suspicions

Saturday 2 February 2008

The Foyer, University of Sheffield

“Expect to be dancing or slithering in your seats”

An evening of Northern Soul, Stax, Motown and Atlantic classics from Snakes original all star soul line-up!

The Suspicions were the backing band for many visiting American legends to the UK including Chuck Jackson, Mary Well, Edwin Starr Smokey Robinson, and Gene Chandler to name but a few. After many years working individually across the four corners of the world the band have reformed .With the outstanding vocals of Doreen Edwards and Jackie Reed this eight piece soul extraviganza is bound to blow your socks off !

Tickets £14 includes DJ sets till midnight.

Call 0114 222 8999

After the great success of the charity all dayer in August, I am pleased to announce the details for the next one. We had the place really busy and raised over £800 for the local cancer hospital. Hopefully we can do even better this time!

Soul Encounters!

Charity Northern Soul All-Dayer

Saturday 3rd November '07

Doors: 3pm til late

@ Qube, Regent St (off West St),

Sheffield City Centre S1 4DA

£5 on the door

All proceeds to the Weston Park Hospital Cancer Appeal

DJ's

Quinvy (Big Phil from Burnley), Karl Heard, Joe Dutton (Pikeys Dog), Mark Etheridge, Steve Mannion, Sean Hampsey, Tony Wiggan, Rich Buckley, Mak, Chris Brooke, Wayne Dearman

More info...

shane.higgins74@tiscali.co.uk

http://www.soul-source.co.uk

Shane

Saturday 27th October

Love & Happiness

@ Qube

Sheffield

Love& Happiness is a monthly celebration of five decades ofsoul music. from the raw innocence of 60's R&B through the 70's, 80's & 90's and not forgeting todays soulful house too (If you've ever been in the Connoisseurs Corner at Southport or indeed the Modern Room at Prestatyn you'll get the idea). Each month will see guest DJs providing the creme de la creme of scintilatin Soul Music music.

The Lounge

Quality Soul Music without boundaries...if it good its it gets played

Martin Dixon (Cunnie)

Dimitry Soul

Smoov

Wayne D

£2 before 9pm, £3 after.

Doors open at 8pm

Qube

Regent Street

Sheffield

myspace/qubesheffield

myspace/welovesoulmusic

Sounds good!

Nice to see like-minded folk enjoying the grooves.

I miss the little house parties that Winnie/Parrot use to hold, plus the allnighters/alldayers held up and down the country too.

I also miss Robbie Vincent's radio show's.

If there is anywhere that plays stuff like:

The Whispers – And The Beat Goes On

Eighties Ladies – Turned On To You

Positive Force - We Got The Funk

Joyce Sims - All & All

Teena Marie - Behind The Groove

Rene & Angela - I'll Be Good

Unlimited Love - I Hear Music In The Streets

Gwen Guthrie - Padlock

David Bendeth - Feel The Real

Royalle Delite - I'll Be A Freak For You

Vaughan Mason - Bounce Rock Skate Roll

Weeks & Co - Looking For Fun

Bobby Thurston - Check Out The Groove (My very 1st 12"!)

Loose Ends - Gonna Make You Mine (any others will do - Best Brit soul band)

Aurra - Are You Single/Keep Doin It Right

52nd Street - I Can't Let You Go

Change - Glow Of Love

Thelma Houston - You Used To Hold Me So Tight

Roy Ayers - Poo Poo La La

:cool:

I remember all this kind of stuff...I spent my teens in the south east and before 1988 and house used to be part of the soul/funk scene down there...Caister and Bournemouth weekenders, the big alldayers, Goldmine (Canvey Island), Windsor Safari Club, Zero 6 (Southend), Flicks (Dartford) etc...listening to the pirates (JFM, Solar etc) and Robbie Vincent on Radio London. I thought it was mostly Northern Soul up here and am pleasantly surprised that the funk/jazz-funk etc stuff we used to listen to had such a big following up here too.

a few other "weekender" classics:

Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions

Roy Ayers - Turn Me Loose/Don't Stop That Feeling

Mass Production - Shante

Eddie Henderson - Prance On

Maze - Joy and Pain

Level 42 - Instrumental Love

Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park

• 2 weeks later...
After the great success of the charity all dayer in August, I am pleased to announce the details for the next one. We had the place really busy and raised over £800 for the local cancer hospital. Hopefully we can do even better this time!

Soul Encounters!

Charity Northern Soul All-Dayer

Saturday 3rd November '07

Doors: 3pm til late

@ Qube, Regent St (off West St),

Sheffield City Centre S1 4DA

£5 on the door

All proceeds to the Weston Park Hospital Cancer Appeal

DJ's

Quinvy (Big Phil from Burnley), Karl Heard, Joe Dutton (Pikeys Dog), Mark Etheridge, Steve Mannion, Sean Hampsey, Tony Wiggan, Rich Buckley, Mak, Chris Brooke, Wayne Dearman

More info...

shane.higgins74@tiscali.co.uk

http://www.soul-source.co.uk

Shane

Any body going? It's for charity - You know it makes sense!!

I remember all this kind of stuff...I spent my teens in the south east and before 1988 and house used to be part of the soul/funk scene down there...Caister and Bournemouth weekenders, the big alldayers, Goldmine (Canvey Island), Windsor Safari Club, Zero 6 (Southend), Flicks (Dartford) etc...listening to the pirates (JFM, Solar etc) and Robbie Vincent on Radio London. I thought it was mostly Northern Soul up here and am pleasantly surprised that the funk/jazz-funk etc stuff we used to listen to had such a big following up here too.

a few other "weekender" classics:

Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions

Roy Ayers - Turn Me Loose/Don't Stop That Feeling

Mass Production - Shante

Eddie Henderson - Prance On

Maze - Joy and Pain

Level 42 - Instrumental Love

Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park

Respect Due :cool:

Archived