Aunt Sally's becoming a Wetherspoons - The Francis Newton

Ricky_22

Maybe they don't want the kind of customer who will just drive up, have one drink and leave? You have to P&D if you want to drink at a good number of city centre pubs, granted they don't have their own car park, but if you want to drive there and have a drink, you have to pay to park.

• 3 months later...

Been in the Francis Newton twice now and so far I have to say I've been impressed.

It might be too soon to say, but it feels different to what I would expect a Wetherspoon's pub to be like. It's clean, the staff seem fairly pleasant and the food is - for what it is - outstanding.

You get a full refund on parking charges (which means you can usually find a space to park) and the sun-terrace is lovely (well it was in yesterday's sunshine).

UPDATE.

Called in for a Full English breakfast last Wednesday. Arrived at 10.10 and immediately saw the real ales on tap. After breakfast, which was fine (the coffee was excellent) I dumped the car back at home and caught the bus back.

Old Peculier was disappointing and the Abbot's Ale was only slightly better. The first pint I tried, whose name I cannot recall, was clearly off so I exchanged it for something else. I do hope this was a one-off because I really like this place.

Edited by Ousetunes

• 2 months later...
As from yesterday [thurs] they have decided too make the OUTSIDE seating area non smoking because apparently their as been complaints by people eating meals outside! Incredible!

Agee with you there,although I don't smoke I think this anti smoking thing has gone to far,time to focus on the other health issues odesity binge drinking ect.

Agee with you there,although I don't smoke I think this anti smoking thing has gone to far,time to focus on the other health issues odesity binge drinking ect.

I totally agree with you too, All these people eating unhealthy greasy fatty food from pubs looking like summo wrestlers then complaing of people smoking outside is totally uncalled for :hihi:

The problem with the smoking ban is that it's back-to-front.

Smokers should be given a room, or better, a cupboard and if they wish to smoke then that's where they should be allowed to do so, with their associates with the door firmly closed.

Then we can drink inside and outside pubs and not have to walk through a ring of nicotine every time we wish to enter or exit a pub.