Who remembers being caned at school?

My dad tells some great stories about the antics he and some of the lads he went to school with got upto at Wisewood School. They were always in trouble in one form or another and got caned on a regular basis.

One of the best he told me, was him and four others got 6 of the best in front of the whole school in assembly for pouring ink out of the library window onto a teachers car, what made it worse it had been raining and the whole car went blue.

He made me laugh when he says they allways ran to find something cold to put thier hands in to stop the sting if water wasnt available they used the cold windows.

The teachers name was Haydock, so anyone at wisewood at that time should remember it.

Edited by Edge

i was caned in school once for talking in class . the teacher marched me down to the heads office for six of the best.

i never ever talked in class again

why the cane was ever taken away is beyond me -it taught kids a good lesson if they misbehaved .

Sounds like child abuse to me! Obviously I am, thankfully, too young to have endured anything like this...but, I did, once, get LOCKED in a store room at the back of the class for an hour...for talking during the maths lesson. Can you imagine, if there had been a fire?

• 4 weeks later...

The cane should definitely be brought back - it may not work for all, but will deter many, as well as being a short, sharp shock for those that do get it - and it isnt cruel, and doesnt last too long physically.

Also, Let parents punish their own children as they wish behind closed doors (spank) - it is neither anybody elses business or governments job to interefere.

I got slippered for throwing a snowball at someone not expecting it, as they were facing the other way. Didn't think it hurt very much, I was expecting a much heftier wack. That was at Firth Park school about 1975

In the 40's at Greystones Inter. we had some odd puddings at lunch. One was prunes followed by horrid pink semolina. After the prunes while waiting for the semolina we were hitting the prunestones wth the spoon which shot across to whoever was sat opposite. We were dragged out by the head, Rough Reeman & given 6 of the best. On returning to our seats the lad opposite who was very small & thin went white as a sheet & fainted face down into his semolina. Rough Reeman then clouted me around the head as though it was my fault! We also had a pop eyed maths teacher with bottle bottom glasses who caned a lad so hard he couldnt stop crying. He took him outside, gave him half a crown & sent him home. Happy days.

i was caned in school once for talking in class . the teacher marched me down to the heads office for six of the best.

i never ever talked in class again

why the cane was ever taken away is beyond me -it taught kids a good lesson if they misbehaved .

i must agree with the above coment. i was caned a few times at school but i was never caned twice for the same thing.

Yes I got caned by Mr Beeson at Woodhouse West Junior for rolling the pencil he was giving out on the first day of term down the desk!! and Mr Thorpe bless him had a worrying gaite of spanking girls over his knee!!! Would we have questioned it then? You daren't tell your parents for fear of another wallop!