Martial Arts forms / Katas?

Still relevant but if you only do forms without sparring, padwork etc. then you will only be good at forms. However, they still have there place because they contain the essence and syllabus of a particular style. They train focus, discipline, balance, coordination, speed, technique etc. They have the great benefit of allowing an individual to pratice without a partner.

I feel it is important to use visualisation during forms/kata and to break down individual sections and practice practical applications with a partner.

Also there are dual/2 man person forms in certain styles. I practice Lau Gar but myself and a mate also incorporate a dual man set from Hung Gar in our training.

There will be those who claim that forms are absolutely vital and those who claim they are a waste of time. The truth is probably inbetween.

They are what you want them to be ---- calesthenics; conditioning; rehearsals; secretive; obvious ...... etc etc .....

BUT imho if they used without breaking them up and examining the meanings of each set of moves, they lose 90% of the the reason for doing them....

forms are the most important its just not a set of moves. They form an important part as in striking moves blocking moves and breathing. I spend quite alot of time doin my forms making sure i understand where how to use that movement. then break it down to 4-5 movments checkin stances and so on. Its ok sayin u know a form but understanding it is a big part of martial arts for internal and external training.

Without forms it is just not Kung Fu !!!

Or even Karate for that matter.

You take away form the classical system then its just not that system anymore.

If you lose the forms then it is just "Freestyle Karate" or whatever people choose to call it these days (as long as they dont call it Kickboxing then theres no problems)

This is interesting.

I used to do Shotokan as a youngster and always hated the katas. Looking back I wish I had understood more fully the meanings of the moves and the discipline and skills needed to successfully complete the series of moves. I was always in too much of a hurry to get kicking someone.

The duel / 2 man forms sound interesting.

ur forms dorm a major part of any martial art and its that where ur learning and understanding comes together. Its ok sayin u know this form and that form but with out the basics its nothin as someone once said knowledge is 99% of life or somethin like that.

Hi davemantis,

Here's the fuller reply as promised.

Katas are an integral part of Goju-Ryu Karate and many other martial arts, where they are sometimes called forms or patterns. The karateka follows a particular sequence of movements that include defence and attack against one or several imaginary attackers. Practicing Kata is a good way of exercising the pure form of techniques i.e.blocks,punches,kicks, strikes etc. and are excellent aerobic excercises, if executed with meaning.

Many Katas contain techniques that are not obvious to the unknowing bystander it looks like someone "just waving their arms and legs about". However, Katas are a means of maintaining the true form of an original style and tradition, from master to student, who may in the future, teach his own students. The Kata helps develop proper execution of technique with mental focus and, most importantly, it teaches the Bunkai, which means, "to take apart", these are the combat techniques hidden within the Kata, without the Bunkai, Kata is simply a ritualistic exercise that is empty and void of true purpose.

Everything in Karate is important, however,with the exception of Kata, Bunkai is probably the most important thing you will learn in karate with regard to combat.Kata and Bunkai are symbiotic, one is nothing without the other.It is in Bunkai the jigsaw will start to fit and the picture that is Karate will begin to be seen. You'll see how all the blocks, strikes, punches, kicks, body evasion, chokeholds, suri ashi and everything else you've been practising dovetail into bunkai techniques. Lower grades' bunkai will be fairly basic, that does NOT mean they are less effective, if done with purpose. Higher grades are slightly more difficult, but not so much as to make them too complex as to be unworkable, also high grades have the previous bunkai that were learned in their kyu grades to draw on. Sometimes your bunkai may not work in a situation, so always have a "Plan B" or"C" or even "D" ready. In the international organisation that Norton Dojo belongs to, the I.O.G.K.F., all students are taught one "standard bunkai" from the techniques in each kata. Of course other "oyo" or "free" bunkai are taught and there's no reason you can't make your own up, but the "standard bunkai"ensures that students are proficient in at least these.

Are Katas relevant? With the Bunkai, yes.

Archived