Martial Arts forms / Katas?

without forms/katas your martials is nothin and pointless its the most important part

Disagree my mate. Forms have a place but they arent the be all and end all of everything. Example: Boxers dont do forms (neither do kickboxers LOL) but they are still devastating. A decent boxer would take out MOST martial arts people due to their sheer strength, speed , stamina , conditioning and tenacity.

Forms are important for classical systems only. They are part and parcel but not the main part. My opinion for your scrutiny

maybe i'm just picky but Have to Disagree with the the last two posts,

A martial art is about Fighting,

Boxing is fighting, makes it a martial art, a western martial art

kickboxers and boxers don't do forms, you have set combos in both, isn't that a form, its just a different way to do a form.

Forms allow the student to perfect technique.

Knowing and understand the basics provides a good base for all future training.

Did you ever see a child run before they learnt to walk?

People want to do forms then fair enough let them. Personally I dont do or teach forms. There are a lot of people out there with good technique who dont do forms.

There are a lot of people out there with great fighting capability who have never SEEN a form! I think a lot of classical systems waste time on forms , time that is better spent on padwork, bagwork and sparring.

ceej what’s the hung gar form that you do?

To me forms are like a dictionary to the style that you are doing it’s like anything it depends on how you apply the movements that is the important issue.

I also think that almost every thing we do in life has some form to it in one way or another. Take making Coffey if you do it wrong then it will taste bad. So I think no mater what art you do you will do some kind of form be that boxing, judo, karate, MMA or kickboxing and so on (that’s right chefkicker you do forms lol) every time you practice a combination or a movement over and over it then becomes a form of sorts, every time you teach that combination to a student you are passing on one of your forms. Each technique has a formula to it a right way and a wrong way, so that then becomes a form of how to do it.

Archived