Sheffield College of Arts & Crafts 1945 - ?

This was the one on Arundel Street.

I don't know when they pulled it down but I went there in the post-WW2 years when the headmaster was Mr Cartwright, frumpy old Miss Bingham taught French, and the glamorous Miss Mills was one of the Art teachers.

We had such a great time at that place.

Any other ex-students out there?

Madsnail

My old buddy and neighbour Fred Harrison attended the Art School about the same time you write about.

He was a great artist, did you know him?

I haven't seen or heard of him for years, often wondered what happened to him when I visit Sheffield.

Happy Days!

It surprises me that I remember so few names from those schooldays.

"Tiny" Heathcoate (He was over 6ft), John Hoyland, Frank Scaife, Jimmy Dickinson..... that's about it.

No, I don't recall a Fred Harrison

And not one girl's name! I don't believe it!

There was a kid whose real name escapes me, but he drew really impressive cartoons at speed and for some reason was called "Cabbage".

My nickname was "Mousey". Needless to say I was less than 6ft.

Now that brings back memories. Art school on Arundel Street. It was just around the bend from Howard Street, right?

When I first got to Burngreave Secondary Modern (to give it it's proper title), in the first year, there was a sort of class competition to find the best artists in the class. The best three would go to the Art School once a week to, I suppose, polish up their skills.

Well, I really fancied my chance at this. I've got to say, I considered my skills has an artist second to one, and that was a kid called Dennis Bullivant.

He was a mate of mine and he was very good at drawing.

I forget exactly what the subject matter was, but I was quietly confident of success. Me and Dennis were going to Art School and partaking of all the goodies on offer.

Needless to say I failed miserably, I didn't even get third place. Dennis went along with a ******* called Sammy Cook, I cant remember who got third.

Yes, that's the one: it was a three- or four-storey building right opposite Surrey Street.

Each year there was an art scholarship immediately following the general scholarship (which I think became the "11-plus") and a couple of dozen lucky kids got to spend their secondary school years in paradise.

Can't remember Dennis or Sammmy I'm afraid, unless Dennis was that big spotty-faced lad who got to kiss Miss Mills at the Christmas party. The #**@$# !!

Hey Madsnail dont get me started on little Cookie. Spots, he should be so lucky.

One name you did mention though was Frank Scaife. There was a kid of that name at Burngreave, he could've been number three, fair/blonde hair, stocky, a very good footballer. I think he lived somewhere around the bottom end of Fowler Street, his junior school must've been Woodside. He was close mates with the great Graham Shaw, Gordon Biddles and Jack Lindley.

I sat an entrance exam for the college in 1943, either before or after the 11plus, there were probably 40 - 50 sitters, one of the tests was to draw from memory, after being shown, a tray with crockery on it. I failed and had to be content with my 2nd. choice Firth Park Grammar. I was at Hatfieldhouse Lane Jnr. School.

Archived