Heeley Memories

Hello Scout,

We both remember Billie Makinson and his father who I believe had the same name. Yes, he came round the district on Friday nights in the 1950's and all the kids used to come out and follow them around. We both lived on Upper Valley Road as kids, myself at the top and my husband at the bottom and when Billie's horse used to "empty his bladder" it used to reach all the way down from our house to my husband's at the bottom ( the things that amuse you as kids!). My mother never liked buying anything from them as the horse used to smell so much in Summer. Both Billie and his father were very ruddy-faced cheerful men and didn't mind us kids, I remember Billie senior chanting "Okey pokey penny a lump, the more you eat the more ...........!"

I don't recall your father's name but I'll ask my mum as all her family were from Heeley/Meersbrook.

My grandfather was a dry-stone grinder and worked on Heeley bottom (Guernsey Road) at Dickinson's where they produced knives and forks.

Regards,

Heeley Duffems.

Hello Duffems, yes they were both ruddy cheeked men! It was my grandfather who was Paddy, my grandmother was known as Blossom. My fathers name was John or Johnny. Living in the same yard as my grandparents and the Makinsons I remember someone called White, can't remember the girls name though - must be old age!

Hi everyone' although i lived nearer lowfields in the 70's i remember heeley as a great place. Heeley bottom was a great place to shop and i recall spending a lot of time as a teenager down cutlers walk allso known as skellys bridge. Anyone recall the rilley brothers ?. GREAT DAYS.

i know this is a heeley thread but i lived at meersbrook and reading alot of the threads brought alit of memories as me and my brother used to hang around heeley alot and most of his friends lived at heeley, we both went to carfield and newfield.anyone from that area

I lived in Heeley in 1963 when I was a young child. I remember Staley's newspaper shop and the Co-op on Gleadless Road. As a child I was fascinated in the Co-op by the money boxes suspended from the ceiling on strings that seem to hurtle from one part of the shop to the other. Later we moved into a house across the road from Mr. and Mrs. Staley.

I lived at 21 Forster Road from the late 50s to 1975.I might add that I was 6 months old when my parents moved from the Arbourthorne to Forster Road making me a 40 something a late 40 something now.

Originally posted by lint

i know this is a heeley thread but i lived at meersbrook and reading alot of the threads brought alit of memories as me and my brother used to hang around heeley alot and most of his friends lived at heeley, we both went to carfield and newfield.anyone from that area

i came from the heeley area in what year did you hang around in the heeley area ?