Heeley Memories

Have just found this site, and can remember all the places talked (left in 71 to join the merch. and now live iin Halifax).

Does any one remember Martin Devily landlord of the White Lion, people used to call him mr Wilkes because of his lamb chop sideburns, and he served the best pint of Tetleys in Yorkshire. As kids in the winter (early 60's) we used to sledge down Artisan View in a long snake of sledges fastened together then all end in a pile up at the bottom, which used to upset some of the older residents. Its a wonder we didnt all end up in the infirmary.

We used to sledge down Carter Road till my gran always came out with a shovel full of ashes from the fire, which stopped us in our tracks as she lived opposite Mrs Maltbys which was right in the middle of our "run" and everyone used to blame me because it was my gran, although no one dared to say anything she was a real tarter.

I think the docker had old houses on it.but I always remember it as our playground & the field at the back of our house across from the heeley church,it was our golfcourse etc: what great day's I recall with my mates,Andy (Butch) Bullen,Len Yates & the Shacks brothers Shaun & Craig.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tosh,

sorry for delay in replying maybe i will get the hang of this forum thing evenyually.

You mentioned the Shacks brothers and i was wondering if craig was the youngest as i seem to remember craig going to anns Road school around the same time as me. we used to play football in the back area of where our house was and what dad had as a garage the doors were used as a goal and often the ball went over the wall into the gardens below us. Do you recall any of the Becks that lived three doors down from us on Gleadless road. There was Cliff, steve, Pete, paul andrew (my age) gillian and then richard.

Originally posted by adviser

Hi Tosh,

sorry for delay in replying maybe i will get the hang of this forum thing evenyually.

You mentioned the Shacks brothers and i was wondering if craig was the youngest as i seem to remember craig going to anns Road school around the same time as me. we used to play football in the back area of where our house was and what dad had as a garage the doors were used as a goal and often the ball went over the wall into the gardens below us. Do you recall any of the Becks that lived three doors down from us on Gleadless road. There was Cliff, steve, Pete, paul andrew (my age) gillian and then richard.

Yes Craig was the youngest Shaun was his older brother,Shaun was a mate of mine.I do remember Paul,he went into the Army.

Yeah me & Paul did not get on,so that's the end of that comment,but all the lads I knew from Heeley seemed to have gone from the face of the earth.I have only heard a few mentioned on the forum.

• 2 months later...

Applegrim, I remember all of those names, they were all in my class! My brother put me onto this site yesterday and sent a P.M. to you on my behalf. I'd love to hear from you, I think I know who you are - did we used to go and get our pennorth of sweeties from the corner shop? Did you used to call for me on your way to school?

Hopefully will hear from you soon. Brandygirl.