Heeley Memories

• 3 weeks later...
Hi ive just joined forum.

I was born in 1951 have 1 sister. All my family came from Heeley. I went to Annes road school 1956 and then on to Newfield. i also remember the Docker, my dad was born near there, Gowers and Burgins, Mrs Moss's shop, Taggys ice cream was just the best, Mrs Hunter's shop, Dr Mc Cullom and Dr Duncan. I attended the Sunday school on Kent Road until it moved to down THirlwell Road.

Not been on for a while so I'm catching up again.

I wonder who you are then Hazel 51. We must have been in the same class, I lived at the Bakers shop opposite the school & remember Mrs Moss & Mrs Hunter well.

Not been on for a while so I'm catching up again.

I wonder who you are then Hazel 51. We must have been in the same class, I lived at the Bakers shop opposite the school & remember Mrs Moss & Mrs Hunter well.

Do you know any of the Siddall family.

Hi, Yes of course I do, but we've had this conversation before (Page 13):hihi:

I remember the area really well, but I'm buggered if I can recall the kids names at Annes Road, other than your family, the Starkeys & the Lockwoods.

Had a crush on a couple of girls in my formative years think one was Lyn Spotswood?

Hoping someone can jog my ailing memories.... I was born in 1951 so went there from 55 - 62 'ish

I can't resist joining in this thread. Its fascinating to read about familiar names, streets and places but no mention of my particular bit of Heeley. I lived on Hyde Road (between Well Rd and Boynton Street) from 1963 and our yard was overlooked by the Shakeys beer garden. We move out in 1975 just before the houses were demolished. I went to Newfield and can remember all the teachers names mentioned. At Annes Road I remember Mr Chinn (yes his real name not the Wilson variation at Newfield) Mr Hanson (headmaster) and Mrs Tyler (music and french I think). I went to the docker only a couple of times with mates from Kent Road but otherwise our playground was the field known to us as the mission next to Oak street.

Edited by Wensday

My earliest memorys were of living on Well road as i was born there. We used to live in the old houses next door to my dads mum and dad Ethel and Walter until the houses were pulled down and one of my earliest memorys is of my mum talking to my gran over the wall. I still remember my mum coming home with me and being fascinated by a stream of water running down the yard. Someone had stolen the pipes in our outdoor loo and left the seat hanging on the cistern. We moved out shortly afterwards and went to live on the Arbourthorne. Up till recently a picture of my grandad in the fishing team still hung in the Shakespeare inn. Its odd the things you remember. I can still recall Taggys ice cream and Mr Phillips butchers. If anyone remembers my grandfather Walt Hawley or grandmother Ethel please feel free to get in touch

I lived on Hyde Road (between Well Rd and Boynton Street) from 1963 and our yard was overlooked by the Shakeys beer garden. We move out in 1975 just before the houses were demolished.

Did Carl Bradford live in your yard? I've got a vague recollection he lived somewhere around there.

I remember Michael Siddall, if my mind serves me well, he once spelt his name wrong in Mr Gouldings class and got the cane, I think for doing it, then he had his book thrown across the classroom. Tell me if it wasn't you!!!!

A lot of the guys in my class had a crush on Sylvia Hallam, among others, who lived on Hyde Rd in the late 40's early 50's.

She lived on the side closest to Well Rd and attended Anns Rd. school.

Olive Powell was another "fox" whose mother was an hairdresser on Well Rd (I think)

Boy, am I ever going back now.