Heeley Memories

hi banksytross.

davided hear. may i say their are no great blokes in aus. being an avid english cricket fan i had to say that didn,t i. (just kidding honest.)

i,m a meersbrook lad born rushdale road 1944.now living in derbyshire but still got sheffield post code. i didnt know where the reunion took place or i would have come. did send a post to applegrim for details but none came.thought i might have been able to entertain you on the night maybe next time. have a safe journey back to aus and good luck. you,ll need it when we play you in the next ashes series, by the way banksy who do you support.

ttfn davided

hi banksietross.

davided hear. may i say their are no great blokes in aus. being an avid english cricket fan i had to say that didn,t i. (just kidding honest.)

i,m a meersbrook lad born rushdale road 1944.now living in derbyshire but still got sheffield post code. i didnt know where the reunion took place or i would have come. did send a post to applegrim for details but none came.thought i might have been able to entertain you on the night maybe next time. have a safe journey back to aus and good luck. you,ll need it when we play you in the next ashes series, by the way banksie who do you support.

ttfn davided

hi banksytross.

i,m a meersbrook lad born rushdale road 1944.now living in derbyshire but still got sheffield post code. i didnt know where the reunion took place or i would have come. did send a post to applegrim for details but none came.thought i might have been able to entertain you on the night maybe next time. have a safe journey back to aus and good luck. you,ll need it when we play you in the next ashes series, by the way banksy who do you support.

ttfn davided

So do I know you I wonder ? I lived at the side of the Heeley Green pics and was also born in '44. There were only a couple of blokes at the reunion, Neville Brinnin and Keith Dobson but you would have enjoyed it I'm sure ? The get together was at the Waggon & Horses at Millhouses.

I can't stand cricket so don't have to get into any trouble about taking sides.

Hubby naturally barracks for the Aussies.

May be see ya next time ?

Banksia

hi banksie.

do i know you, i wander as well.not sure if a susan bradley lived at the side of pictures could be wrong usualy am. went to carfield cowsheds all through my schooling days, hated school.only liked 2 things about it that was 12 o, clock and 4 o,clock apart from hols. now i hate the hols because the kids are off.yes i do hope we meet in the near future, it is nice to remenisce.lets face it we are getting to the age where remenisceing is all we can do.

ttfn davided

• 2 weeks later...
hi banksie.

do i know you, i wander as well.not sure if a susan bradley lived at the side of pictures could be wrong usualy am. went to carfield cowsheds all through my schooling days, hated school.only liked 2 things about it that was 12 o, clock and 4 o,clock apart from hols. now i hate the hols because the kids are off.yes i do hope we meet in the near future, it is nice to remenisce.lets face it we are getting to the age where remenisceing is all we can do.

ttfn davided

My god, you do take me back. I remember Susan Bradley. Her parents plus her Aunt, Uncle and a couple of kids all lived next door to me. I was only about 10 or 11 at the time I think.

We called into Heeley last week to have a look around. It seems so different now, especially with the Heeley Green pictures gone. The new apartment block built on the site is not very pleasing to the eye though I was pleased to see that work has started on renovating the Waggon. I may not be in here for a while as we pull up stakes soon and move on. I will try to log in at my next port of call. Byeeeeeee Banksia

hi duffems.

did you wear glasses when you were young and are you small,

unless my memorie is playing me tricks and thats likely i remember singing in someones front room to a record player i think the song was pocket full of rainbows by elvis. i remember it was somewhere near maz,s. i appologise if i am wrong. the only collis i knew was val. still i am getting old now. if it wasnt for the dog knowing his way home when i take him for a walk i,d probably get lost.

davided

Hi davided,

Not me I'm afraid, I was/am only small but have never worn glasses so I don't know whose front room you've been in, you get around don't you! I was always a big Elvis fan but, we didn't have a record player until we got our first Dansette in about 1960. Maz and her sister had a record player so it might have been their front room. I can't believe that I'm trying to find whose front room you sang in!

I believe Val Collis was my father-in-laws cousin, my husband is Roger, his great uncle was a concert secretary for one of the clubs at Woodseats.

We were both born in 1948 and went to Carfield right until it closed in 1962 when Roger went to Newfield and I went to Brincliffe Grammar.

You may know David Travis and the Duckers who lived on Upper Valley Road opposite the Storeys. My brother Keith saw David some months ago. I believe he's a painter & decorator.

Regards,

Duffems.

hi duffems.

its a case of mistaken identity im afraid, it happens a lot at my time of life, the old memory. the reason im curious is that the father of whos house it was heard me singing and advised me to take it up. i did and made a good living out of it so it was good advise.ive been singing since i was 20yrs old am 63 now ,still singing.yes i knew david played football with him and yes he is a p&d also knew alan and barry ducker. do you remember the little shop halfway down , i think val and david lived near it.do you remember barry glynn.he and i used to duet together before he sadly passed on.are you still living in meersbrook or have you moved on.contacted neil memmot a few weeks ago,hes up dore now.

ttfn. davided

Hi davided,

Nice to hear from you. I'm as curious as you are to find the person who you sang to, how old was you at the time, you can probably remember that though you may not recall what you had for your breakfast, it's an age thing!

We lived next door to Maz Maynard and the other side of our "passage"was David Travis. The other side of Maz (the next yard up) was Brian Lingard, his dad was called Jack, lovely chap, it might have been him?

Alan Ducker,Dave Travis and Malcolm Storey were mates of my brother Keith but, I didn't hang around with them as they were "the bigger boys!".

I do remember the little shop, it was on the opposite side of the road to us, a weird place (I thought so), it only seemed to sell Oxo cubes and vinegar, what was that all about, eh! My husband Roger lived near to that shop and even he doesn't know what else they sold.

I don't remember Barry Glynn, Roger may do, I'll ask him when he comes home tonight.

I think it was Neil Memmott who was in our class at Carfield, I always got his name and that of his brother mixed up, his brother was quite a bit older and, I believe he was in the forces, perhaps Guards, don't know where I recall that from, might be way off with that. Whichever Memmott it was who was in our class he once came down Upper Valley on a sledge (I think, it wouldn't have been a skateboard, they hadn't been invented) and he collided with the railings which were on the corner of Upper Valley and Kent Road (Kent hill we called it). He either knocked his front teeth out or badly damaged them, I know he was in a mess, he was a smashing lad. The last time I saw him was in 1970 when I was coming home from my hen night quite drunk and he was on the same bus, I think he extremely embarrassed that I knew him as I recall telling all the bus that he was "a lovely lad" in a 6x "Cherry B" 4x "Babycham" and 3x "Gold Label" type manner! He was glad (so was I) when I got off the bus on Ann's Road and a loud cheer went up. I've never been drunk since and I don't drink any alcohol at all now, it put me off for good!

I moved from Meersbrook in 1959 when my mum bought a house in Heeley, Alexandra Road where my grandparents lived, where I lived until marrying Roger in 1970. Since then we've moved around the country quite a bit and finally bought an apartment in S11 two years ago, no garden, no pets, no kids (all grown and gone). Roger's still working (too much) but, he'll eventually retire but, not for a few years yet.

I'm even more intrigued now to find the person of the front room where you sang your little heart out, any more clues?

Regards,

Marlene

Hi davided,

Nice to hear from you. I'm as curious as you are to find the person who you sang to, how old was you at the time, you can probably remember that though you may not recall what you had for your breakfast, it's an age thing!

We lived next door to Maz Maynard and the other side of our "passage"was David Travis. The other side of Maz (the next yard up) was Brian Lingard, his dad was called Jack, lovely chap, it might have been him?

Alan Ducker,Dave Travis and Malcolm Storey were mates of my brother Keith but, I didn't hang around with them as they were "the bigger boys!".

I do remember the little shop, it was on the opposite side of the road to us, a weird place (I thought so), it only seemed to sell Oxo cubes and vinegar, what was that all about, eh! My husband Roger lived near to that shop and even he doesn't know what else they sold.

I don't remember Barry Glynn, Roger may do, I'll ask him when he comes home tonight.

I think it was Neil Memmott who was in our class at Carfield, I always got his name and that of his brother mixed up, his brother was quite a bit older and, I believe he was in the forces, perhaps Guards, don't know where I recall that from, might be way off with that. Whichever Memmott it was who was in our class he once came down Upper Valley on a sledge (I think, it wouldn't have been a skateboard, they hadn't been invented) and he collided with the railings which were on the corner of Upper Valley and Kent Road (Kent hill we called it). He either knocked his front teeth out or badly damaged them, I know he was in a mess, he was a smashing lad. The last time I saw him was in 1970 when I was coming home from my hen night quite drunk and he was on the same bus, I think he extremely embarrassed that I knew him as I recall telling all the bus that he was "a lovely lad" in a 6x "Cherry B" 4x "Babycham" and 3x "Gold Label" type manner! He was glad (so was I) when I got off the bus on Ann's Road and a loud cheer went up. I've never been drunk since and I don't drink any alcohol at all now, it put me off for good!

I moved from Meersbrook in 1959 when my mum bought a house in Heeley, Alexandra Road where my grandparents lived, where I lived until marrying Roger in 1970. Since then we've moved around the country quite a bit and finally bought an apartment in S11 two years ago, no garden, no pets, no kids (all grown and gone). Roger's still working (too much) but, he'll eventually retire but, not for a few years yet.

I'm even more intrigued now to find the person of the front room where you sang your little heart out, any more clues?

Regards,

Marlene

Davided

Just remembered, it was DEREK Memmott who Roger and I were at school with, Neil was his older brother.

Regards,

Marlene

hi duffems,found this forum by chance i was at carfield school from 1956-1960

my maiden name was oldfield, i remember all the teachers you have mentioned,mr cartwright used to call me shirley i still have the poem he wrote me when we left school do you remember mr simpkins{english} sandra gregory was my best friend. linda butcher and denise? david smith was in the photography class with mr philips. remember drinks shop abbeydale road we used to meet there with the wilson twins dave and john also pete mansell lynne jackson and a girl called sandra. my father worked at the wagon and horses pub at heeley he was head barman. we used to go to the heeley cineama. did you know david edwards he was about 2 years older than me ?