Heeley Memories

hi norton girl, davided here,

welcome to the forum june shirley,i think.

the forum has some interesting topics. how long have you been up norton and did you live at heely. i lived on rushdale road at meersbrook,live on marsh lane now.lets know a bit more about you please

by for now dave.

Hi Davided. I ( terry puttrell ) used to live at 142 rushdale road up until 1956, When was you there and what No.

Terry

Hi Terry I was born there in 1944 and lived on Rushdale untill 1964.We lived at 120opposite what we called the Bomb site. They used to park all the cars on it. On bonfire night thats where we had it and Harry Roberts the butcher used to come and light it.I also had a brother called Steven.Mom and Dad lived there till about 1984. They then moved to Handsworh.Dad passed on a couple of years after moving but Dear old Mom is still there.

Rhonda that's the shop that was a hairdressers as well wans`t it (ladies).Dave Berry now there`s a legend.I know Dave well infact his lead guitarist (Jason) taught me how to play the guitar, Daves still doing the rounds, he dose Butlins a lot. Im not as old as Mr Berry but im still doing the rounds as well. You cant keep an old crooner down. I do mostly country now obviously the old type proper country as i call it.

Davided, I think this was the early sixties when Dave made "The Crying Game" and he still sings it as good. Mr.England had the newsagent's and haberdashers at the corner of Rushdale opposite the chemist. I can remember both Mr England and the chemist were " terribly posh".We moved away in '62 and went to Gleadless and shortly after we were there The Beatles came to the Azena as it was then they honoured the booking even though they had their first top record. God what a long time ago.

Well Rushdale Road was awash with shops in those days at the other end of Rushdale was Richards another Newsagents and across from him was another grocers cant remember their names . Then across from Robinsons was Hartleys the fruit shop and where the Bomb sight was used to be a chip shop.Harry Roberts the Butchers. I hav`nt been down Rushdale for a number of years but its all changed now. I think the Scout Hut is still over the back though. It might not be a Scout Hut anymore. I believe the Garages have all gone as well. Please give my best to Lol, the last time i saw him was in a pub (thats not like me) on Narroy Street called the Lord Nelson. Narroy Street runs of Saville Street. Think Lol had been to a Convention or such like. Ask him if he remembers. I worked at Firth Browns then.