Heeley Memories

hi duffems david travis was born in the house next door to me on mundella place if you see him ask him to cntact me as i would like to see him again didnt he have a sister i think her name was jean his moms name was amelia we played together until he move when he was about 10 his cousins joan and peter mathews lived just down the road peters son christopher played football with my son david they were both in the cubs. i also remenber loretta collis i am sure that she was in my class at carfield school

Just read the Heeley Memories thread as I have been off line for the last few weeks.

Although Amelia Travis was born in Newcastle the family moved to Halifax when she was a girl due to the collapse of the shipyards.

The late Peter Mathews did not have a son called Christopher, his younger son is called David.

Have sent you a PR.

Cynthia. Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil.

Sorry i didnt get to reunion Mary has been laid low with this bug that's going round

and as shes arthritic as well i couldnt leave her on her own.Unfortunately I wont be going out tonight either so look out whiskey bottle here i come.

TAKE CARE

Dave

This is going back donkeys years, Ray Shacklton would be possibly 70 now, so it must be grandchildren you know, they used to live up Gregory Road, on the right hand side opposite the Boards, Ray also had a brother, but I can't recall his name. they knocked about with Nick Carter who lived at the end of Foster road, he was the son of Nick Carter the Barber, who's shop was opposite Heeley Church.Does anyone remember "Chopper" who sold fruit and fish and flowers outside the Waggon? if you wanted him to serve you , you had to knock on the pub window, or what about Mickie Parelli who lived on Cambridge Road, at Christmas he'd dress a wall clock up with a santa's face, and he had a stuffed bird in a cage that he'd wind up asd let it sing. These small things seemed to make us so happy back then, and why we remember Heeley with such Happiness.

Ray Shackleton's brother was called Brian and he was two years older. His pal from the barbers was Dave Carter who was the youngest of four brothers belonging to 'Nick' Carter the barber. The group he went around with comprised Bob Carlisle (Gregory Rd) Jack Russell (Tillotson Rd) Graham Marshall (Carter Rd) Harry Nowill (Carter Rd) I also remember 'Chopper' Shirtcliffe and also Micket Pirrelli with his ornamental birds!

Hi applegrim. Doesn`t look as though anyone went to the reunion. I could`nt get myself because Mary wasn`t very well, she was laid up with this dreaded bug infact shes only just beginning to feel better.Dont know whether my old mate Neil Memmott went but i think he would have replied by now.I owe him an apology to missed his b/day. Are you keeping ok hav`nt heard from you for a while.

Davided

Hi Davided, I'm going to hospital for some results this week, and I'm having respite as my dear husband is in a residential home for the week, so I have a full week doing what I want to do, when I want to do it, and up to now it seems that I will be eating lots of Christmas pudding and seeing lots of old friends, even perhaps a drink or two as well!

I think the reunion went very well, an old boyfriend has contacted me and he went and really enjoyed it, they all wore name tags in case they didn't recognise each other which I find very amusing.

Hope you have a great Christmas and that Mary is feeling better.