Heeley Memories

Hi tosh our julie's fine in fact i will see her this saturday it's our Abbey's 18th birthday thats our julies youngest, she has two girls and all are doing fine. I was sorry to here about your john he was a good bloke always had time for a chat. saw him many a time at Manor club on sunday when i was there with my dad. On a previous thread some one was asking about Gregory road i can remember John Baker (nick name billy) and two sister's carol and pauline do you remember them dont remember surname but they lived on Gregory.

Catch ya later mate take care. J.C.

Hi tosh our julie's fine in fact i will see her this saturday it's our Abbey's 18th birthday thats our julies youngest, she has two girls and all are doing fine. I was sorry to here about your john he was a good bloke always had time for a chat. saw him many a time at Manor club on sunday when i was there with my dad. On a previous thread some one was asking about Gregory road i can remember John Baker (nick name billy) and two sister's carol and pauline do you remember them dont remember surname but they lived on Gregory.

Catch ya later mate take care. J.C.

Hi JC sorry can't recall them ,but then it's been some years,I recall the Shackleton's Craig & Shaun they lived on the right hand side of Gregory Road on the way up.Tell Julie Hi & our Jayne sends her best.Cheers Tosh

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone out there, preferably with parents / grandparents who were Heeley residents. Help please in finding out about Stella Hemmings, an old school days friend of my Mom.

Stella would be born approx 1910, could still be alive, now that would be something !

Any info please would be most appreciated.

Rhonda, was Connie the one who used to deliver milk on a bike with a big basket on the front (not Connie the bike) i think this was before she started using her car.Wasnt it someone called Warns that had the milk round. Are you from Rushdale Rhonda im curious to know how you knew my dear old Mom she`s 83 now and still going strong. Shes just had a load of workmen in her Bungalow refurbishing it and loved every minute of it

i remember connie of rushdale road in the 70s she used to look after my old black lab for me when i went to work we became great friends she told me some great old tales of life on rushdale road

There was a milkman named Frank Wornes who lived on Albert Road, he used to deliver the milk on a pushbike with a "barrow" on the front. He was well known for calling at several hostelries along his route so customers at the end of his round could receive their milk delivery rather late! You could see his bike parked up outside the Red Lion, Crown (Chesterfield Road) and the Myrtle on Alexandra Road.

• 1 month later...

hi, jonh c and tosh, ilived on tillotson rd a bit younger than you two, dave turley used to babysit for me, my gram ahd grandad lived next door to mcateers on midland rd, we lived opposite bill robbo `s family, my mum still doing well(ann pinder), love to hear from any people from around that era,( what days).

Does anyone remember St Stephens on Gifford Road.

It was a sunday school and a youth club on I think Tuesday nights.

It wasnt a church, just a house with a large room upstairs.

Gifford Road was just off Chippinghouse road but at the bottom close to Heeley bottom.

Carol

I was born in Heeley in 1966 (cambridge place) both my parents were born there as well - dad on kent road (tony gill

)mom on walden road- june marshall, my grandad was a coal merchant- edwin marshall. My parents both met at Tyzacks on Valley Road which strangely enough is where I bought my first house - right opposite!!! Apparently a few houses on Valley Road were fish and chip shops as well as houses and sold the food from the front windows!! I also remember the little terrace house on Heeley Green that was between 2 shops (one of which was the Herbalists where as a treat mom would take me for a drink (I think it was Vimto or Saspirella) out of the pump on the counter. And Tingles drapers - when I was little that place used to amaze me with all the wooden drawers. Does anyone remember Deans shop on Cambridge Road and Jims fish and chip shop????

born and bred in heeley lived on foster rd 21,my mom used to send me to (Jims) we used to call (Sammy Fishcakes)on friday t/time with tick note (pay next week).Deans sold everything from a real of cotten to a pair of shoes.foster rd had so many shops for sutch a short rd.every shop u needed ,butchers,fruit shop ,hardware shop,hair dressers,stayleys paper shop,gowers & birgins,dots launderette,shaws sweet shop,went through that shop window, cost my mum £2.00 for new glass.used to go to drinks shop for a hot horliks or hot vimto in winter cold sasperella in summer.thanks.

hi, jonh c and tosh, ilived on tillotson rd a bit younger than you two, dave turley used to babysit for me, my gram ahd grandad lived next door to mcateers on midland rd, we lived opposite bill robbo `s family, my mum still doing well(ann pinder), love to hear from any people from around that era,( what days).

remember u well pal and ur family mom ,grandad,grandma,dave was a good freind,is it dean i am replying too.my name is barrie siddall of foster rd .Robbo wat a nutter mad as a hatter.remember craig &shaune,bob fox,the bullens of tillotson rd,knew everybody visa versa,HAPPY DAYS,

born and bred in heeley lived on foster rd 21,my mom used to send me to (Jims) we used to call (Sammy Fishcakes)on friday t/time with tick note (pay next week).Deans sold everything from a real of cotten to a pair of shoes.foster rd had so many shops for sutch a short rd.every shop u needed ,butchers,fruit shop ,hardware shop,hair dressers,stayleys paper shop,gowers & birgins,dots launderette,shaws sweet shop,went through that shop window, cost my mum £2.00 for new glass.used to go to drinks shop for a hot horliks or hot vimto in winter cold sasperella in summer.thanks.

I remember it well bazzi89 I was there at the time.???