Heeley Memories

Sorry about the music teacher's name, I thought you meant the teacher at Carfield who was Miss. Cowley, she was very old as she'd taught my mother at Annes Road School in the 1920/30's.

You mean Jasper Wright (as my brother nicknamed him!).Gosh, they were a rough family, we never knew who was the husband and who was the boyfriend!

Upper Valley Road was a very nice area, typical working class families with morals and principles. David Travis was a neighbour, nice lad, my brother's seen him recently, he's still the same.

I believe that all the Storey children have passed away, Michael was only young then Sylvia followed by Malcolm. Do you recall Keith Greatbatch who was also born in 1947?

Duffems

I do remember Keith Greatbach, he was in my class for a while. In the same year was Glyn Sands and Paul Raynor who both lived on Rushdale Road. Tommy Kendal was another. Crikey my barin is working overtime now with all these names from the past.

Hi Duffems

From some of your previous postings, you mentioned you lived on Alexandre Road. Did you know Dave Bailey. He was a tall lad who became a fireman. He had a mate called Brian Smith who also lived in Heeley.

What about Sellars newspaper shop on Sturge Street? Did you know Joan? Elizabeth Wislon from Moffat Road and Mike Widgoose? Also on there was Dave Foster. He had a sister called Susan. She was a nice girls but who contracted diabetes and became totally blind and had to have amputations. She passed away last year I think. She was quite a bit younger than me.

Hi Haydn F,

David Bailey, that's a blast from the past, blimey, I could never work him out as he had more than one name, I suspect that one was his mother's and the other his father's though, I lived there until 1970 and I never saw a father. I lived next door to George Bowers & Stanley Quincey the milkmen.

If you remember Keith then you'll also recall David Betts, he went into the navy.

Other names I remember from your year were ? Bussey, Neil Schofield, Neil Oldham and Josie Gladwin.

Duffems

Hi Duffems

Your're spot on. Dave did have two names, his mother's and father's.

I do remember Davis Betts, he lived on Upper Albert Road. I also remember all the others mentioned. The one missing is Trevor Bussey. Do you rmember Sally Shearman? She lived on Cross Myrtle Road. How about the Broomheads shop at the junction of Cross Myrtle and Alexandre? That might have gone by the time you lived on Alexandre Road as I recall that being there when I was a young lad!!

On Spencer Road lived the Hill sisters. Robert Frith lived on Fitzroy - he married Sally. Robert was a friend of Neil Schofield. Neil had a brother, Roy? Good heavens Duffems, they're all coming back to me now!

hiya no one will know me growing up as my wife and i only lived there for 5 years or so before the houses on gleadless rd were pulled down. we spent five good years in heeley we started our family in that house happy days we lived at no 49 next door were the larkins tommy one son i dont remember the other ones name. below were the wilds, i knew barry from when we worked to gether ont corp also was barry fox, son of the landlord of the bridge inn i found out later.

further down was mrs sayles sons tom and dennis above us were bill grace and wife connie i think she was a relative of david shaw he died in a fire at manchester airport i worked with david along with the two barry's wild and fox, david shaw and barry fox were apprentice bricklayers at the time 1958. we moved in 49 in 1962 it was i'll never foget the first sunday my wife said " shall we have an ice cream from across the road" i said why not., when i got in taggies (his name was ernest battle)

he said "youve moved into no 49 havent you" i sad "yes" he the told me he owned 49/51 i said i know, your name is on the deeds i bet you dont know how much they cost me i said i did( he'd paid £20 the pair at auction, some old lady had died and her family were getting rid of her houses he said she'd left dozens of properties all over sheffield.

Edited by willybite
missed a date

• 2 months later...

I was born & lived in Well Rd, Heeley 1960 to 65. My family also occupied most of the block of 6 back to back houses/shops. My grandmother & grandfather Sid & Nora Fry had the bakers/tripe shop, my aunt Olive & Arthur had the hairdressers & greengrocers. My Grandad Sid had a workshop above a shop or something down London Rd. He did a lot of work for cinemas & also did work for some of the gangs venues & clubs, so didn't make a great profit.

I well remember Taggy's ice cream & bands marching by one day, going down the yard to the outside toilet, newspaper squares nailed on the door to wipe.

The Lump across the Rd from us, Mr Kendall's yard just up from us (I saw his chimney fall down in the gales on night, from my mum & dad's bed, as the storm had spooked me too). The boy next door to grandma's was called Broderick & always wanted to set fire to things!!!.

I loved Heeley, visiting my family regularly until they were forced out by compulsory purchase order.

I have only just found this thread, it has sparked off great memories, thanks to all that have posted & made this a great site.

Anyone ever heard of the Mangling Steps?

A elderly lady mentioned this local name to me,

and apparently they lead up to a womans house or yard.

She would have been a local woman who did washing for others,

the steps were somewhere in the regeion of Jeffrey St/Penns Rd or Edwin Rd,

Off Gleadless Rd.

M&P

This a fascinating thread and one that must be kept running !!

I wasn't born in Heeley, but here are a few Heeley people, some family, others school friends.

My cousin Roy Hartley, lived on Slate Street and his sisters Eileen and Maureen.

Richard Atkinson, Richard Perks, Alan Anderson and Mick Cunningham, all lived on

Alexandra Rd.

David Nicholson lived on Jeffrey St, used to play with him when I went to my Grandparents.

Mick Brookfield lived on Gleadless Road, almost opposite Jeffrey St.

John Osborne, whose Dad was Caretaker at Anns Rd.

Mick Harrity lived at the back of Heeley Church.

Peter Wilson lived on Well Road.