Heeley Memories

Hi Duffems

No I don't remember the milkmen because I wasn't a local, although I feel a great affinity for the area as my Dad lived on Slate St and Mom lived on Gleadless Rd. They were married at Heeley Church in 1936. I attended Newfield from 1958 to 1963 and made pals with many of the lads from Heeley.

Once remember spending an evening in the company of Keith Greatbatch, Dave Betts and Richard Atkinson, telling tales of school experiences, with Dave Betts having us in fits of laughter as he spoke about a teacher at Carfield who moved on to Newfield. A geography teacher whose name I think was Vickers.

Richard Perks father was a staunch Unitedite, whereas Mick Cunninghams Dad was a Wednesdayite. The ribbing that went off was merciless but always good humoured.

2 uncles of Mom's lived on Myrtle Rd, both cutlers and they were among many from Heeley who emigrated to the States in the early years of the 20th century, taking their skills with them and leaving the dirt and grime of Sheffield for a completely new life.

Mom and Dad and their brothers and sisters were lucky as kids in being able to walk 10 mins up the road and be in open countryside.

I could go on forever !!

Edited by Runningman
Correcting spelling mistake

I know Keith Greatbatch very well, he's now widowed. David Betts, his best school mate went into the Navy, don't know where he is now. Richard Atkinson was a very humorous lad.

Mr.Vickers was an excellent geography teacher, Mr.Cartwright affectionately known as Joe was a really good Maths teacher but, Mr. Roach was a so-and-so of a a teacher and even worse as a human being, there were some excellent teachers generally in Carfield School.

Duffems

• 3 weeks later...
Guest teebee

i am currently researching my family tree, and i have found that my families link to heeley go back to at least the 1890's we have found some relatives living on sturge street in 1901 but we dont know where sturge street was could someone please point me in the right direction (and i am embarassed about asking as i lived at heeley green for about 15 years)

Sturge Street was (is?) located at the bottom of Heeley Bank Road opposite the Little Sisters of the Poor Home. It runs parallel with Olive Grove Road. An ex-girlfriend of mine lived at the newspaper shop which her father ran for many years, his surname was Sellars.

I thought Sturge Street ran from Gleadless Road more or less opposite the shops on Forster Road/Gleadless Road. It ran alongside the back entrance to Ann's Road School on Hartley Street and joined Ann's Road, in effect it ran parallel to Gleadless Road and was accessed via a "cut-through" from Gleadless Road. I may be wrong!

Yes Duffems is right about Sturge Street, it was in between Richards Rd and Gleadless Rd, its no longer there, but there is a small rd called Sturge Croft.

Haydn F is refferring to Slate St I believe.

Yes Duffems is right about Sturge Street, it was in between Richards Rd and Gleadless Rd, its no longer there, but there is a small rd called Sturge Croft.

Haydn F is refferring to Slate St I believe.

mikey, didn't you get to it from Anns Road one side or Hartley Street the other?

Just remembered that there was a "gennel/snicket" which came from Gleadless Road towards the Heeley Green Cinema/Tudor Picture House onto Sturge Street (I think!).

Duffems

Edited by DUFFEMS

Sturge Street was (is?) located at the bottom of Heeley Bank Road opposite the Little Sisters of the Poor Home. It runs parallel with Olive Grove Road. An ex-girlfriend of mine lived at the newspaper shop which her father ran for many years, his surname was Sellars.

Yes your'e correct. My friend was a paper-boy for Sellars. To save time I delivered some of his Star's and he mine, I delivered for Marples at Bramall Lane/Shoreham St lights.

Yes your'e correct. My friend was a paper-boy for Sellars. To save time I delivered some of his Star's and he mine, I delivered for Marples at Bramall Lane/Shoreham St lights.

The newsagents Sellars was on the corner of Slate Street.