Heeley Memories

The newsagents Sellars was on the corner of Slate Street.

Hi Duffems, Slate Street it is. I looked at Sellers and moved in .. Between Richards Road & Alexandre Road ran Sturge Street I should have known because it was part of my paper round.:loopy:

It's so easy to forget these roads. I lived there for many years and walked all the roads without thinking of their names, now I struggle to recall them and sometimes I have to 'phone mum who's now 83 which puts us young 60+ to shame!

Duffems

It's no longer there now, apparantly there's a small road called Sturge Croft but, Sturge Street has gone. I haven't been around there for many years, it's like most places, it doesn't look anything like it did when we were young!

It's no longer there now, apparantly there's a small road called Sturge Croft but, Sturge Street has gone. I haven't been around there for many years, it's like most places, it doesn't look anything like it did when we were young!

I often go down Gleadless Road. Can't turn on to Annes Road now, so dont know much about the area as is. Oh it was Spur Street I was thinking of, when I referred to Sturge Street

married aneely lass,Irene Garnets er name,Me? a cumt fromt bar , unters that is, but a ran oam throot genel evry neet from valley rooad oart sheaf,cummin ahrt at eely baths,then t tedge,nether that is,then throot posh bit t unter ouse rooad.still married t aneely lass,shi sez 35 *******years.magic stuff.

up the blades

Guest teebee

thanks for the help with sturge street, me mam said it must have been somewhere round where struge croft is now, been checking out the census on family search found that my great great grandfather lived on nicholson road in 1881 so that now means that for 128 years some part of my family have lived at heeley..

The newsagents Sellars was on the corner of Slate Street.

This brought back some memories of Mr and Mrs Sellars shop, seemed to sell everything back then as a kid. Mr Sellars reaching for the tins and packets on the higher shelves with a walking cane, and catching them as they fell.

I delivered the morning and evening papers in a canvas Star bag with a giant knot tied into the carrying strap, still have the red mark today where the knot digged into my shoulder. Always hated Thursdays and Fridays when the Star was always was thicker and heavier .

Drove past recently, and the shop is now a house which looks so small now. As a kid in the early 60s i seem to remember a really old car (with running boards etc) which was always parked in the gennel next to the shop, which i assumed would have been Mr Sellars

married aneely lass,Irene Garnets er name,Me? a cumt fromt bar , unters that is, but a ran oam throot genel evry neet from valley rooad oart sheaf,cummin ahrt at eely baths,then t tedge,nether that is,then throot posh bit t unter ouse rooad.still married t aneely lass,shi sez 35 *******years.magic stuff.

up the blades

Nowt wrong wi' bein' aneely lass (or lad!) this couple o' eely fooark ev been wedded for neerly fotty years, made o' strong stuff! Just one fly int' ointment, we lived sum orr us early years in Meersbrook so we ev a leg in both camps!

Duffems

thanks for the help with sturge street, me mam said it must have been somewhere round where struge croft is now, been checking out the census on family search found that my great great grandfather lived on nicholson road in 1881 so that now means that for 128 years some part of my family have lived at heeley..

We're probably related as both our lines are in Heeley/Meersbrook. I'm trying to research my paternal side of Goodison which isn't going too well, they apparently lived on Florence Place, Heeley until 1923.

Duffems