Heeley Memories

hi duffems re hide &seek --kick can or deledo any thoughts???

Wasn't it something like "de allio", no idea how it's spelt but that's how we pronounced it.

We used to run off in all directions then try to get back to base by kicking the can?

Duffems

hi applegrim & tinker --I lived on the Little Hill from 1936 to1960 we were 3 doors up from Mrs maltbys who had 2 daughters called Mary & Dorothy-- here are some more names--ron & elsie humphries & wendy-mick mc.namaras-arnold argate--norman hutchinson -who married a lass from boynton rd --Mrs moore- peter forman who moved to nicholson rd --brian coleman-- Ivy redfern --mick baker-& at corner carter place&nicholson place was the Drews --maureen-- brian-- jack --pauline?--- at the corner of carter rd &carter place was Chopper shirtclife-- tony simonite- duggy wells- corner shop was jimmy hirst--more names--keith magrath --peter blyth -trevor duncam --barry bagshaw - wow what memories---

hi Blackadder---how nice it was for me to see the Cartrights name--Alan was one of my mates we used to swim together at heeley baths .He was avery good diver he always put me in 2nd place -we started work together at C&R.walls. bar fitters he went in the woodworking machine shop &I went in the joiners shop --they were at broomhill--I left after 6 months-to abuilding Co in town- we lost tutch after that---Has that put a smile on your face?? hope you are all well---Dave

hi Runningham-Iam a hartley +I have been doing my family tree. There has been a lot of Hartley's in heeley- they have even named St after us - Ha-so having seen you have a cousin called Roy Hartleyin heeley +wondered if he was one of my thread's-In the 1911 census at 78 Myrtle rd lived my gran Emma -with sons +daughter. Frank -20 -albert -17-Fred -15 - Annie -13 -John-2- My dad-+ Fred-6-month's--I can not find where they went after about 1914-- My dadtold me he was brought up the THORPE'S who also lived on Myrtle rd -- can you help ? --Or can any one else///---I have never met -Gran or any one else from the family---Hope you dont mind this question-many thanks

Hi duffem you are right -De allio sounds just rlght ---Here's another one for you --you have heard of name that Tune --Well name that chip shop--ON Cambridge rd -opposite bottom Carter rd- used to open up the shop after the ' all clear' [war]- then later took over the Shakey - name ???? - bye.

Lots and lots of chlorine! I was something of a diver, loved that high board, till it wasn't high enough and dive off the viewing gallery, one slip would have been instant death!! I'd be in all Saturday morning from breakfast to dinnertime, crowd into those warm fiootbaths to get warm and get into competition for who could create the noisiest smelliest bubbles by flatulence, winner cleared the bath. Great days indeed do. Do the baths still exist?

Yes, they do. Just had a refit and still well-used. The rest of Broadfield Road is a desert, though. What used to be Express Dairy is now a few odd workshops, not a house in sight and the club folded in 1980.

I lived with my grandparents at the bottom of Chippinghouse road just up from Healey Bottom I was actually born there in 1948.

I went to Ann’s rd school and Low fields school for a short time (and I do remember the dreaded Mr Golding)

Does anyone remember anything at all about Milligan’s Mansions(spelling) on Woodseats Road and who lived there round about early 60s.