Heeley Memories

Hi there

If you used to go to Anns Grove/Gleadless Road School in Heeley and your interested in whats planned for the future use of the old buildings, have a look at this website.

Some of the current images dont make good viewing so beware if you have fond memories of what it was like inside!

The buildings have the potential to be a fantastic community resource for Heeley but we need to show support for the plans. If you are in support it would be great if you could let us know by leaving comments on the site.

Thanks

Hi Twitcher,

I have been thinking and thats hard for me is your mom Jean the twin of Joan, if so then aunt Gladys was my grandad Arthers sister. I think I have got that right.Joan and Jean when they were kids used to go to Meersbrook park and call to see mom and dad on there way home. Oh happy days.

regards

Dave

My Mum's maiden name was Turton, she is a twin, lived on Richards Road, also my Great Grandma lived in the cottages behind the church where the nursery is now........I don't recall a Christine Turton being in the family though.....

Hi Twitcher,

The Turtons Aplegrim refers to lived in the cottages on Gleadless Rd. opposite the church. Mum and Dad were Fred and Mary then there were eight children, Fred, Brenda, Christine, Betty, Margaret, David, John and Paul, who was born after the family had moved first to Low Edges, then to Grindlow Mount.

• 1 month later...
I was born and brought up on Artisan View, remember Bamfields corner shops on the corner of Thirlwell/Goodwin Rd, we used to get those coloured crystals from there that were supposed to make lemonade! and jap squares, they had lots of bigs jars of sweets in the side window, Ben and Beattie Woods shop at the corner of Artisan View, Mrs Newcombe's shop by the steps at Well Rd, used to get 4 chews for a penny and liquorice root there, her son Tommy used to deliver milk all around the area. There was another shop at the corner of either Spencer or Tillotson Rd/Well Rd and a fruit and veg florist on the other corner, Mrs Scales fish and chip shop on Boynton St, "threepennorth of chips and don't forget to give me some scraps please", a wool shop on the corner and the the Boilers on the other side of the road almost opposite the Shakey ... that was the furthest we were allowed to go by ourselves.

There was a woodyard on Well Rd, i used to get sawdust for my mice's cage from there, had big double gates and a big tree in the yard. A newsagent up some steps at the bottom of Well Rd and the Heeley Palace where we used to go on Saturday for the Kids Cinema, Tobor the Robot starting an early interest in Science Fiction ... also remember my mother taking me to see "Rock Around the Clock" there and some people being carried out twitching and jerking by the manager and an usher! they'd been "sent" by the music roflol. I could go on and on ,,, but i won't!

My family were from Artisan View (76) there was 11 of us and my mun n dad. The websters lived near the top. The Fosters bottom end, another big family. I loved my life there

Hi Mike Greatbatch,

Just wondered whether you know of any connection between the Greatbatch family and Goodison family (also from Heeley, Prospect Road/Florence Place ) in the1920's. The reason for my interest is that my father (no longer alive) was the illegitimate son of Ethel Goodison (married name Wildgoose of Florence Place ) and was adopted by Thomas & Elizabeth Greatbatch when Ethel died when he was only 5weeks old.

In consequence, I was a Greatbatch 'til I married and I have never been able to find the connection between Heeley and Crookes where his "adopted" parents lived. I have tried genealogy searches but 1923 is still recent history.Please don't feel obliged to reply as someone may still have some skeletons in cupboards but it's something which has always intrigued me as a Greatbatch (who dislikes the name!).

My mum often mentions greatbatch family. One name was either Tommy or Tony

yes i remember the sweet shop now as being phonetically connors, I lived at the shops next lot down from those. Originally dad had the greengrocers which he later turned into a chippie. We were on the edge of a wide drive that led to some garages at the back of us and shred this with David Dilks who was a barbers, then there was Bamfords? sweet shop and then the post office Shemmel i think they were called, down from us the other two shops were closed and the last was a ladies haidressers and the Becks lived behind that shop.

There was some open land where cottages once stood and Garages made of asbestos and corrugated steel that i can remember climbing up on to and running and jumping from roof to roof. Next to this and opposite the vicarage was a large house, very mysterious to me back then that had a huge garden. What you would give to have a house like that nowadays??

Then more open land where houses once stood and this is the open area which tosh's house would have backed onto.

I can remeber pinching wood from thier bonfire to make ours bigger than thiers and sure they did the same to us. We used to have what seemed to be massive bonfires of anything we could find to burn and spend weeks building them in time for November 5th.

Can anyone else remember the bonfires?

I remember the Becks & the bonfires. people were always nicking stuff off each others when we were kids wherever you lived :-)

Short note for David H - and any one else interested. The family that lived at #13 Carter Place were the Rastrick's. The famiy lived there from just before 1939 when my older brother Tony was born, until our parents split up around 1947. My brother went to Anns Road school for a while, then over to Heeley Bank.

With respect to the "clay torchburners" memory, I remember there was a bomb site with a deep crater, on the corner of Carter Road and Cambridge Road which was filled with water and had lots of clay - perfect! Also I recall my brother trying to float on a piece of corregated iron left over from a bomb shelter, and nearly drowning when he fell off - thanks to the like's of the Baker's and Drews's he's still here today to talk about it. lol !!

Funnily enough long after we'd moved away, I started playing for the Heeley Athletic's football team that Terry Neath and his brother Allan Neath had help put together around 1955. I had met Allan through the YMCA in Fargate where we had all been recruited to play football - he was a pretty handy footballer. We had Tony Asquith and Billy Drew amongst others, and played in a Sunday league up in Graves Park. Our club house was Mr. Neath's front room!!

There are many more memories to relate if anyone's interested, but I'll try and get my brother to "sign on" as he spent a little more time at Carter Place, staying with John my father for economic reasons after the split. Lastly he often tells me when we're reminiscing his first love was the older Maltby daughter whose family had the shop at the bottom of Carter Place.

To close off I suppose now that we are in December I should wish all "Heeley Memories" along with all forumites, a Happy Xmas and a great holiday season from Canada. Keep the good stories coming!!!

I am a 'Baker'. younger end. you might have known theolder ones Hazel Roy Lesley etc

I just read a link re Anns Road School. So sad to see it got into such a state. What a beautiful building it was and I have such fond memories of my time there. Hopefully the plans by the HDT will go ahead and the lovely building have life in it again