Heeley Memories

So glad you mentioned Boyton Street. My grandparents used to own the shop at the top of Boyton Street. I was born in 1949 & remember goingto the shop as a child . It was right at the top of the hill & must have been at the end of a row as the back yard to the living accomodation from memory had other houses in it. I think it was also an off licence. My grandparents were called Dyson. My aunt & Uncle also lived on Artisan View for many years & there name was also Dyson. I visited the UK 10 years ago & tried to find my way to both those places only to find they had been demolished I have no idea when that happened.

So glad you mentioned Boyton Street. My grandparents used to own the shop at the top of Boyton Street. I was born in 1949 & remember goingto the shop as a child . It was right at the top of the hill & must have been at the end of a row as the back yard to the living accomodation from memory had other houses in it. I think it was also an off licence. My grandparents were called Dyson. My aunt & Uncle also lived on Artisan View for many years & there name was also Dyson. I visited the UK 10 years ago & tried to find my way to both those places only to find they had been demolished I have no idea when that happened.

I was born in 1964 but my family lived at Artisan view for many years before and Me until I was a few years old. My brother set our kitchen on fire and we moved to Duchess Road (off Queens Road). Our house was then knocked down and built into some modern looking flats/apartments. Life in Heeley was different to now. People were very close as neighbours and friends and the whole street of kids played together. it was a lovely life

hi mikey,

yes i do still live in sheffield, i lived at meersbrook for 14 years but have moved to crystal peaks now.

i went to what was then bluestones infants and then ashleigh which is now no longer there.

my mom and dad got married at heeley church and i can still remember all the terrace houses that were accrss the road (obviously they were married b4 i came along!!)

I was born in heeley 1964 went to anns road sbhool then ashleigh. i reckon you might know my sisters Cindy and Alexandra Baker. We left heeley early 1970s I think

I remember lynne shaw. I went to Annes road in the mid 50s to early 60s then to newfield school,lynne was in my class!Ilived on gregory road for 24 years ,any one from that area.Oh happy days!I am not living in Sheffield anymore ,but not so far away.Does anyone have any pictures of the street,I can only find one on the net.The area looks so small now for all the houses that were pulled down.I have lots of happy memories of places ,and people.The weekly trek with the school(Annes rd) on Friday afternoons to the park at meersbrooke,down the 49 steps!The whit sunday marches from oak street sunday school.Does anyone remember the after school club at St andrews church ?I think this was in the early 60s.

wow i remember the 49 steps to meersbrook park. wonder if they still there. we loved em and used to race up and down them

wow,sorry but i was at annes road school about 1974/76 where there used to be a large tree in the middle of the playground & we used to have to buy buscuits at break(half a pence a time)many memories from a long time ago

i was at anns road junior around 1972-1976. There were 3 marks, Roebuck, Platt & Stone. Are you by chance one of them?

Didnt their family have the chip shop at the bottom of Spencer Rd?

How about the corner shop on the opposite side called Drakes?

Corner of Spencer Rd and Anns rd.

Dorothy Quantrill & Family , Fosters, Stephen & Danny Webster, Schofields all lived on Artisan view. Williamsons, Mitchells-twin girls I seem to remember were called Julie & Michelle.Catwells lived closer to anns Road school & Becks who lived over the top back way of heeley. There was a garage on the right at the bottom of Artisan View where my mum says Tommy Greatbatch 7 Cilin Gillman used to work

Hi Chumpy,

How very kind of you to reply and thanks for the offer of a copy, I would like to take you up on that. I do know that my father's "adopted" father was Thomas Greatbatch and his mother was Elizabeth (nee Hayes ) as I have their marriage certificate. They had no children and, as Elizabeth was about 56 when they adopted my dad, I really cannot understand why, especially as they lived in Crookes and my dad was from Florence Place in Heeley (no longer there but I remember it from when I was a child in Heeley). My dad didn't have a birth certificate,again, I don't know why, just a baptism certificate but it's in his Greatbatch name. When I lived in Heeley ('til 1970) I can't remember any other Greatbatches and I really used to get a lot of stick about the name so I was glad to get rid of the name which I always thought didn't belong to me anyway! Sorry to be insulting about your surname and in later years when I explored it's origin I think you can be quite proud of it as it has a lot of good connections with the pottery industry. Anyway, sorry to ramble but thought I'd fill you in on why I'm trying to find the Goodison/Greatbatch connection. Many thanks,Duffem.

My Mum mentioned Tommy Greatbatch today wonder if he the same one

Have just found this site, and can remember all the places talked (left in 71 to join the merch. and now live iin Halifax).

Does any one remember Martin Devily landlord of the White Lion, people used to call him mr Wilkes because of his lamb chop sideburns, and he served the best pint of Tetleys in Yorkshire. As kids in the winter (early 60's) we used to sledge down Artisan View in a long snake of sledges fastened together then all end in a pile up at the bottom, which used to upset some of the older residents. Its a wonder we didnt all end up in the infirmary.

my family and many others from the street used to sledge down Artisan View