Heeley Memories

Yes, that's a really good point, although the sites we played on were usually piles of bricks and debris.

I hope you can throw more light on this for us.

Thanks

hiya, our houses on bath st were condemned in 1936, it took another 25 years until 1961 for the clearance to begin and looking back the number of houses that were cleared was staggering, mind these families all had to be rehoused, going back to the letter about the bomb damage in the blitz around our way there were the odd empty houses and spaces where there were once houses, ,these couldn't have been bomb damaged,there were on the corner of bath and fitzwilliam st's we played on the red wreck on wellington st, and the big one is now called devonshire green.

Edited by willybite

There was a space of four terraced houses on Carter road opposite where I used to live where we played football.

Can't see that having been clearance work, but I must admit I don't know for sure, just always took if for granted it was a bomb.....

There was a space of four terraced houses on Carter road opposite where I used to live where we played football.

Can't see that having been clearance work, but I must admit I don't know for sure, just always took if for granted it was a bomb.....

What year did you live on Carter Road?

I lived on Carter Place "up t' little 'ill" till 1948.

What year did you live on Carter Road?

I lived on Carter Place "up t' little 'ill" till 1948.

We moved there in about 53/4 from the top of Alexander Rd and I left when I got married in 64..

Edited by grinder

We moved there in about 53/4 from the top of Alexander Rd and I left when I got married in 64..

I did the opposite, lived on Cambridge Road until 1953 then came back to Alexandra Road from 1960 until I married in 1970, small world as they say!

Regards,

Duffems

I did the opposite, lived on Cambridge Road until 1953 then came back to Alexandra Road from 1960 until I married in 1970, small world as they say!

Regards,

Duffems

hiya'

my wife and me bought our first house on gleadless rd opposite grattages bookmaker's shop, with taggy's shop higher up, we were thought to be buying a house when in fact there were two ours at 49 and 51, after we moved in ernest battle (taggy) told me he once owned the two houses, he paid £`20. for them at auction and sold them for£ 300. the one we bought them from sold them for £350. when we moved under compulsory purchase we got £116. after 5 years.

one family who lived just below us were called wild sons name was barry, also there was barry fox he lied on richards rd ,when i worked with them they would talk about the lion when they had the club acts on, was the m c claude powell a singer.

Edited by willybite

hiya'

my wife and me bought our first house on gleadless rd opposite grattages bookmaker's shop, with taggy's shop higher up, we were thought to be buying a house when in fact there were two ours at 49 and 51, after we moved in ernest battle (taggy) told me he once owned the two houses, he paid £`20. for them at auction and sold them for£ 300. the one we bought them from sold them for £350. when we moved under compulsory purchase we got £116. after 5 years.

one family who lived just below us were called wild sons name was barry, also there was barry fox he lied on richards rd ,when i worked with them they would talk about the lion when they had the club acts on, was the m c claud powell a singer.

My late mother loved Claude Powell, she had a signed album of his. She loved "goodnight Irene" as her name was Irene.

hiya'

one family who lived just below us were called wild sons name was barry, also there was barry fox he lied on richards rd ,when i worked with them they would talk about the lion when they had the club acts on, was the m c claude powell a singer.

I remember a Gloria Wild from that area (1954/57)

I remember a Gloria Wild from that area (1954/57)

hiya, I only knew barry he would have been 15/16 in 54/56, but I think he had a sister they lived at 45 gleadless rd, he also had an elder brother I saw him visit, 45 was next to the gennal, just below lived mrs sayles with her two sons tommy, and dennis.

Edited by willybite