Heeley Memories

Hi Willy.

Was that gennal the Scellys walk one ?

I remember once calling in pub down there that was the weirdest pub I've ever been in.

Be about late fifties / early sixty's and it was just a small terraced house front room with a bar one table and a couple of chairs. The lady went into the kitchen to pull a pint from a barrel on the kitchen table.

Was that the Moor view before it was extended ?

Hi Willy.

I remember once calling in pub down there that was the weirdest pub I've ever been in.

Be about late fifties / early sixty's and it was just a small terraced house front room with a bar one table and a couple of chairs. The lady went into the kitchen to pull a pint from a barrel on the kitchen table.

hiya j.s

yes it was,and no it wasn't if you know what i mean, at the time (19662) it was called the sheaf view, only went in once there was a what we would call a best room and a dram shop on the corner, we went in the big room at the front, when we got in we had to ask where the bar was to get served, a kind soul told us to go to the door in the corner when we did we found we were behind the bar in the dram shop.(dramma)

after that we, my brother in law and me started going in the oak in oak st, only for a game of darts, i remember one time going in the oak we asked for two pints we were told to wait, when we got our two pints, we were told they had run out of beer and had run up to boilers, or shakie with a big enamel jug.

Edited by willybite

Happy days Willy, happy days....:hihi:

I remember one time in about 56 going down that stretch of Gleedless road all swish in a brand new black and white plaid cowboy shirts, (the best Bunny's could sell,) new black trousers 16" bottoms and a pair of black leather slip on shoes with silver chains across the front, I felt like the bees knees.

I was on my way to the Heeley Colly and I was about half way down that very steep bit of Gleadless road strutting me stuff when for some unknown reason my right shoe swung across the front of my left and I went base over apex..

The road at that point must be almost vertical because it seemed like a hell of a long way down before I hit the ground, I ripped the shoe practically in half, took both knees out of the trousers and most of the buttons off the shirt, grazed my hands and scrapped my nose.

It was a very different young fellow me lad that limped back up Gleadless rd to the one who'd just strutted down it I can tell you..

Edited by grinder

Happy days Willy, happy days....:hihi:

I remember one time in about 56 going down that stretch of Gleedless road all swish in a brand new black and white plaid cowboy shirts, (the best Bunny's could sell,) new black trousers 16" bottoms and a pair of black leather slip on shoes with silver chains across the front, I felt like the bees knees.

I was on my way to the Heeley Colly and I was about half way down that very steep bit of Gleadless road strutting me stuff when for some unknown reason my right shoe swung across the front of my left and I went base over apex..

The road at that point must be almost vertical because it seemed like a hell of a long way down before I hit the ground, I ripped the shoe practically in half, took both knees out of the trousers and most of the buttons off the shirt, grazed my hands and scrapped my nose.

It was a very different young fellow me lad that limped back up Gleadless rd to the one who'd just strutted down it I can tell you..

hiya grinder j.

what was the passage called that went by the river sheaf just below the pub and you came out on geurnsey rd away.

hiya grinder j.

what was the passage called that went by the river sheaf just below the pub and you came out on geurnsey rd away.

We always knew it as Skeltons Walk, whether that is its' actual name I don't know but, as Skeltons was the name of the works down there that's where it probably got its' name.

I think it was also known as Sheaf Bank but, again, that was the name of the works down there.

I think it actually came out on Sark Road but, again, I could be wrong, anyway, it was scary down there!

Regards,

Duffems

Edited by DUFFEMS

Removed .................

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 18:28 ----------

I think its propper name is Cuttlers walk also known as Skellys bridge.

No need to think Shabbas, you are correct.

Edited by me-and-pippo
Already answered

We always knew it as Skeltons Walk, whether that is its' actual name I don't know but, as Skeltons was the name of the works down there that's where it probably got its' name.

I think it was also known as Sheaf Bank but, again, that was the name of the works down there.

I think it actually came out on Sark Road but, again, I could be wrong, anyway, it was scary down there!

Regards,

Duffems

hiya duffems, it could very wll have been sark rd i went down it very few times, glad you mentiond skeltons, i'd been trying to remember its name,

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 20:44 ----------

Hi Willy.

just thinking the worst pint i ever had was in the sheaf at the top of bramall lane we asked for 2 pints and as quick as before we said pints they were on the bar i was shocking that was 1963/4.

Hi Willy.

Yes that was what we called Skelly's walk and it was scarey at night especially if you were under the railway bridge when a train went over.

So what was he doing under a railway bridge at night your thinking ? well it only happened the once I can tell you. (and I nearly ruined another pair of trousers an all)

My Mum worked at Skeltons in the mid fifty's, and I remember her coming home very upset one day because one of the grinding wheels had broken, but I can't remember if it had badly injured or killed the man working it..

From what I could gather you sat in a saddle and had to bend over the top of the wheel he was using...

Never drank much at all round Heeley for some reason, we where always up Woodseats...

Edited by grinder

Hi Willy.

Yes that was what we called Skelly's walk and it was scarey at night especially if you were under the railway bridge when a train went over.

So what was he doing under a railway bridge at night your thinking ? well it only happened the once I can tell you. (and I nearly ruined another pair of trousers an all)

My Mum worked at Skeltons in the mid fifty's, and I remember her coming home very upset one day because one of the grinding wheels had broken, but I can't remember if it had badly injured or killed the man working it..

From what I could gather you sat in a saddle and had to bend over the top of the wheel he was using...

Never drank much at all round Heeley for some reason, we where always up Woodseats...

hiya grinder js.

i read your letter the other day,you referred to the gennel i wrote about it was not the walk past skeltons it was the passageway between the houses,the top house was the wilds and below was a mrs sayles, it was used to get to the back of their houses.

jack dose tha remember joining me in your club woodseats wmc ont dale.