Cricket Inn - Totley- your opinions...

4-4-2

I have no idea how they keep it in the Crown, just know it tastes damn fine and it's a real proper pub, no crappy gastropub :thumbsup:

In my experience and those I know who've been, there is no problem with beer quality, it's just you get short measures almost every time, and given the prices are at the top end of the market people do feel ripped off.

I don't know if the beer's different but it's served here through those horrible "creamflow" systems that make it really smooth and creamy and put a 2" head on it. Makes all bitters served this way taste exactly the same. In and around London it is totally clear with just a light layer of bubbles on top. Much sharper and cleaner tasting - much like the beers in the Cricket. Still - each to their own - I just don't like it.

Incidentally and beer marketed as 'smoothflow', 'creamflow' or similar is not real ale.

The brewing process is pretty much the same, however towards the end the yeast is killed off and filtered out, the beer is pasterised to make it long life and the beer is kegged rather than casked. Then at the point of dispense artificial gas is added to give it some fizz and creaminess. In real ale this isn't neccessary as the beer has natural sparkling condition from the secondary fermenation that takes place in the cask in the pub cellar. I therefore consider smoothflow an inferior product, although there are some who swear by it.

Just to throw in my two pennies worth... I had my wedding breakfast and reception in a marquee at the back of the Cricket a month back with the pub supplying the food and beer, and I can't rate the place high enough.

The staff were brilliant, the food was absolutely amazing (all served perfectly despite there being eighty-odd of us eating at once) and everyone enjoyed the fine ales (perhaps a little too much in some cases...)

Everyone has commented since how good the food and service was, and some going as far as to say the evening buffet was the best they'd ever had (didn't have any personally as I was still stuffed from the main meal!).

So massive thumbs up (and a hugh thank you) to the Cricket from me - it's just a shame they're not doing any more weddings as the setting is gorgeous.

• 7 months later...

Does anybody know if the Cricket Inn still do wedding receptions?:)

Just to throw in my two pennies worth... I had my wedding breakfast and reception in a marquee at the back of the Cricket a month back with the pub supplying the food and beer, and I can't rate the place high enough.

The staff were brilliant, the food was absolutely amazing (all served perfectly despite there being eighty-odd of us eating at once) and everyone enjoyed the fine ales (perhaps a little too much in some cases...)

Everyone has commented since how good the food and service was, and some going as far as to say the evening buffet was the best they'd ever had (didn't have any personally as I was still stuffed from the main meal!).

So massive thumbs up (and a hugh thank you) to the Cricket from me - it's just a shame they're not doing any more weddings as the setting is gorgeous.

Been reopened two weeks now. Doesn't get much better than this. Feared the revamp would be a bad move - how wrong could I be. Stunning beers, food top notch and really helpful friendly service (still learning but that's ok).

Anyone else experienced it yet?

They still fill up the 'heinz tomato ketchup' bottles with inferior crap though...the b**tards:suspect:

Archived