Cricket Inn - Totley- your opinions...

4-4-2

I like the Cricket Inn - it's a gastropub, so good beer and relaxed ambience combined with restaurant quality food, although it being a pub the menu isn't as fancy as a restaurant.

Usual pub system, get a table and order at the bar.

They don't reserve tables so just turn up, however at the busiest times you may have to wait at the bar for a table and wait longer than normal for food to come as it is a popular place. If i go for Saturday lunch I tend to go about 1:30-2pm when it's quieter and get better service.

Website - http://www.cricketinn.co.uk

The Druid Inn at Birchover was bought by the Chef and is now independently owned. The Coach and Horses isn't listed with the others on the latest menu from Artisan so may have been bought out too.

Well that's good news about the Druid. It's a shame old Mr Bunce packed it in. I thought the food they used to do there, in the many years he owned it, was first class. It was a rustic, quirky sort of place with an amazing range of food. Dozens and dozens of really nice imaginitive dishes for all tastes, including good traditional fare. Don't know if any of you ever went to the restaurant he opened in Matlock some years ago, called "Bunces"? It was over the bridge and a sharp right turn up the hill by the car park. I don't think it lasted long - it was a bit out of the way I suppose but again the food there was top class.

The Coach and Horses at Dronfield is owned by Sheffield FC in a joint venture with Thornbridge brewery as far as I know. I think the Inn at Troway and The Cricket Inn at Totley is a joint venture between Smith's and Thornbridge. That may explain the high beer prices at the Cricket - and yes, it is taking the p a bit I'd say. You save 30p a pint by going to the Coach and Horses and the food is very good - but they won't serve you if you are a second past half past 8 in the evening.

• 10 months later...

Love this place. More expensive than some but better than all in the area imo. Child-friendly, dog-friendly, just friendly. On recent vists I`ve had a couple of starters that were amongst my favourites ever. And the beer is from my favourite brewery too. The best. :love::thumbsup::)

Archived