Cricket Inn - Totley- your opinions...

4-4-2

I went to a party here on sunday afternoon.

The standards were terrible tbh, the bar was unstocked so couldn't have any of the drinks I wanted, there was no ice at all!! Not enough bar staff on so queues were huge. No loo roll & the hot water tap didn't work in the ladies so an all round disappointment imo! :suspect:

Really - when I was there Sunday afternoon both bars in the pub were open and the beer/cocktail tent outside was open too.

I did get a slight impression they didn't anticipate how busy they would be and the inside bar ran out of crisps for example, but were still available in the beer tent. However I had no problem getting served at any of the bars.

I haven't tasted London Pride in London and I wasn't aware what we get was any different. Tastes good to me though.

Do Fullers supply two different varieties of London Pride? I know that the stuff I drink in Gloucestershire tastes the same as the Sheffield stuff and I like the taste.

I don't know if the beer's different but it's served here through those horrible "creamflow" systems that make it really smooth and creamy and put a 2" head on it. Makes all bitters served this way taste exactly the same. In and around London it is totally clear with just a light layer of bubbles on top. Much sharper and cleaner tasting - much like the beers in the Cricket. Still - each to their own - I just don't like it.

It's the same London Pride nationally. The only two variables are the dispense and the condition the pub keeps it in.

If it's a traditional bitter, generally in the north drinkers prefer it served via a sparkler which means the beer is presented in an attractive manner with a nice head and aroma. If pulled correctly the head should not be excessive, if it is demand a top up. However if served with a head it is my belief that the pub should use oversize lined glasses to avoid giving short measure.

That is a sweeping generalisation and individual breweries will state whether their beer is best served with or without a sparkler to deliver the optimum quality pint.

However, with real ale if the pub has kept the beer in top condition (and the brewery has produced decent beer in the first place) the beer should have a natural sparkle - or 'condition' caused by secondary fermentation in the cask that will mean the beer will look and taste good either way.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, I shall be there for a lunchtime scran very soon.

Graham, Lord Marples is the "Ale" in the Steak Pie and Jaipur is in the batter for the Fish & Chips. If you get as far as desserts, the Sticky Toffee Parkin has St Petersburg in the toffee sauce.

It's the same London Pride nationally. The only two variables are the dispense and the condition the pub keeps it in.

If it's a traditional bitter, generally in the north drinkers prefer it served via a sparkler which means the beer is presented in an attractive manner with a nice head and aroma. If pulled correctly the head should not be excessive, if it is demand a top up. However if served with a head it is my belief that the pub should use oversize lined glasses to avoid giving short measure.

That is a sweeping generalisation and individual breweries will state whether their beer is best served with or without a sparkler to deliver the optimum quality pint.

However, with real ale if the pub has kept the beer in top condition (and the brewery has produced decent beer in the first place) the beer should have a natural sparkle - or 'condition' caused by secondary fermentation in the cask that will mean the beer will look and taste good either way.

I have no idea how they keep it in the Crown, just know it tastes damn fine and it's a real proper pub, no crappy gastropub :thumbsup:

Archived