The Brown Bear - has there been a fire?

Someone told me last night there ghad been - can anyone confirm is this is true?

If so it would be a shame if all those lovely old theatre posters got destroyed ....

No there hasn't been a fire, it is being renovated into a reight trendy wine bar for all those theatre goers.There knocking through so it'll open up onto Tudor Square so you can sit and sip a Pinot Grigio in the sunshine while watching the world go by:D

• 3 weeks later...
Its a low dive. If it stinks of fire it can only be an improvement.

They are refurbishing. :)

It's a traditional town boozer and served a decent pint of Sam Smiths at about £1.30. It was the only SS pub I know of in Sheffield. Was looking forward to a pint in there post-smoking ban.

It's a traditional town boozer and served a decent pint of Sam Smiths at about £1.30.

Don't get me wrong - I like a proper low boozer. :)

It used to be a decent traditional town boozer full of character. It used to serve a very acceptable pint of OBB (although, being a Sam's pub, nothing else ale-wise - unlike its previous incarnation).

The fact is it declined over several years and became a dirty, stinking hole full of drunks. Even I stopped going in.

I hope things improve.

It was only when it became a dirty, stinking hole full of drunks AND THE OBB ALWAYS TASTED OFF that even I stopped going in.

I hope they don't completely gut it though. The front bit was OK it just needed cleaning up a bit. I was hoping the fancy wine bar extension would just be the Tudor Sq bit and the 'low boozer' at the front - with good beer again - would be kept and refurbed. Maybe a vain hope I guess.

Archived