The Brown Bear - has there been a fire?

Sam's pubs are generally traditional ones, however they vary from classic, through non descrip to modern.

In Sheffield as well as the Brown Bear in the City Centre we have the Old Mother Redcap in Bradway, the Travellers at Oughtibridge and Cow & Calf at Grenoside.

They keep their operating costs to a minimum and pass the saving on to customers via cheap prices. Next time you are in a Sams pub have a look round. You won't find a TV or music (so no licence to pay for) and you won't find any drinks on the bar that aren't Sam Smiths own brand (and I'm not just talking beer - even the spirits come from Sam Smiths own distillery!).

I have also observed the Old Brewery Bitter is delivered in very large casks (I think 36 gallon) and in an unmarked truck.

Are you sure they have their own 'stil? I always asumed they just supplied own-branded low quality spirits, in the same way that tesco or whoever might supply their "own brand". I was always lead to believe that Sam's didn't have their own distillery.....

I thought that too. Even their soft drinks are SS branded - I don't believe for a second that they manufacture lemonade, let alone gin.

There are some very good Sam's pubs around - the Bispham Hotel (Blackpool) is fabulous. The Blue Bell in Preston is also worth a visit.

Aren't they supposed to have guest beers from other firms though - I thought it was the law? Personally I'm not too bothered about guest beers, as long as they have at least one decent cask ale of their own.

Always makes me laugh when someone comes in and asks for a pint of Guinness.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived