Ecc Road or Nonnas?

beebe

Please im very new to sheffeild and this area coming from London/Essex so could the people from sheffeild please tell me whats so great about this part of town or nonnas as i went passed this part of town in the car to see what all the hype was about? ive also been told that this is the place to go for a good night out in sheffeild, ok its got some bars and a few restruants but nothing thats not any diffrent from where i come from these type of bars are 10 a penny in london / essex .

... 10 a penny in essex??? dont think so....

I don't come from down south sunshine!...lived in Sheffield all my life, but we are obviously on different wavelengths,so...............no further comment.

my post was directed at beebe, sunshine.

wind your neck in.

I think what is mistaken for top notch in Sheffield is that it has to come looking like it will feed a battallion of irish navvies a month and have a bit left over. Quantity does not in any way equal quality. Nonnas unfortunately had neither.
Correct Captain!

I love Nonnas, I get my spray tan done Fri night especially so I can look tip top for the wkd and while away the hours sat outside scowling at the great unwashed.

If you don't like the place your clearly common

I think Sheff has some lovely little restaurants which serve excellent food and have a good ambience but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't try and tell us that Nonna's is the best!! Talk about falling for the hype! If it's expensive it must be good.... WRONG!

It's true Manchester and Leeds have some fine places and Sheffield will get there eventually IF people will stop following the crowd and going where they're told is good!! And if you want the place 'to be seen'... who's going to see you in Sheffield??? Hehe - two bob millionaires!!

Sorry rant over - it's just a lifestyle I fell into when I used to live in Sheff (yes I was a sheep) and only moving away made me realise how futile it was.

I can now go and eat and drink wherever I like in Sheffield and have found some lovely places.

My advice: mosey around, try lots of places and don't always judge a book by its cover!

Nonna's has it's place - good to go and watch people desperately trying to impress!! Eating and drinking surely isn't that much to show off about?! hehe!

I'd give Nonnas a swerve if I was you. Totally overpriced crap, my son and I ate there a couple of weeks ago, my pasta was bland to say the least, and he rented his lasagne, it didnt make it down the parkway before it was being launched out of the window!

Good advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been into Nonnas for the past couple of weeks for cocktails (happy hour BOGOF between 5-7 Mon-Thurs). Their Cosmopolitan is the best I've tasted in a long time, and they had loads of little bar snack in the shap of mini pizzas. These were delicious, so last night we decided to try the restaurant. My god it was awful! Despite having the lovely little pizzas in the bar, they didn't serve bigger versions in the reatuarant. I had lamb with what should have been flame grilled aubergine and couscous. £15. But when the waiter asked about side orders, I asked how big the portion of couscous was, and he said it was huge. When it arrived I had 4 small slices of lamb coated in I don't know what. It was much too rare (they didn't even ask how I wanted it cooked) - in fact so rare that in places it was cold. The aubergine was unrecognisable - it had been shredded and mixed with all sorts of other things, like sultanas, flavours that didn't go together, and then packed into a pancake shape and put on top of the couscous, which was also in a pancake shape. It wasn't a big portion and I didn't even eat it all. Apart from the luke-warm lamb the rest of it was cold, there was no kind of sauce with it so it was also incredinly dry. On top of this, they got the bf's order completely wrong and it had to be sent back. When he did get his about half the mussels hadn't opened and so were inedible, and he got hardly any pasta at all. Needless to say we skipped dessert and promptly left - £32 poorer (and we didn't even have any wine!).

Archived