Road closures discussion

Tony

Hi,

I travel from just outside Huddersfield to West Street every day, coming down into Grenoside on the Woodhead Road, down Foxhill to Wadsley Bridge, then down Penistone Road/Halifax Road through Owlerton to Shalesmoor.

Last night I couldn't even get onto Penistone Road (didn't know it was completely flooded), but it seems I was lucky not to. I went on Infirmary Road, through the tram gate in Hillsborough, through Middlewood and up to Deepcar. It was a pretty hairy journey with the road flooded up to perhaps 60cm in about 20 places, then cut onto the A629 at Deepcar - after that there wasn't a sign of any flooding.

Anyway, I stayed off work today but was wondering about tomorrow. There is pretty much only the way I described into Sheffield from this direction (or A61), and if Hillsborough is still blocked I don't fancy fighting my way through High Green/Chapeltown/Ecclesfield, etc.

Anyone think this route will be doable tomorrow morning?

Hi,

I travel from just outside Huddersfield to West Street every day, coming down into Grenoside on the Woodhead Road, down Foxhill to Wadsley Bridge, then down Penistone Road/Halifax Road through Owlerton to Shalesmoor.

Last night I couldn't even get onto Penistone Road (didn't know it was completely flooded), but it seems I was lucky not to. I went on Infirmary Road, through the tram gate in Hillsborough, through Middlewood and up to Deepcar. It was a pretty hairy journey with the road flooded up to perhaps 60cm in about 20 places, then cut onto the A629 at Deepcar - after that there wasn't a sign of any flooding.

Anyway, I stayed off work today but was wondering about tomorrow. There is pretty much only the way I described into Sheffield from this direction (or A61), and if Hillsborough is still blocked I don't fancy fighting my way through High Green/Chapeltown/Ecclesfield, etc.

Anyone think this route will be doable tomorrow morning?

Your best route for tomorrow morning (assuming that they haven't managed to do anything about the collapsed road surface on the A61 Penistone Road North- that is what's closing the A61 now) would be to join up to the A629 or A616 from Hudds direction then to avoid the tram gate at Hillsborough corner by going down on to the A61 at the filter point before Hillsborough Park.

I've done this route this afternoon and the road is now reopened at the Owls ground. Of course there could be issues surrounding the closed off section of Leppings Lane that are there because of the roadworks anyway- but there's no flooding there any more.

Thanks Dafoot, that's my usual route but seems like Grenoside is closed and also not sure about A61 link to M1 and how chocked it is. I reckon I'll just have to set off and see, unlikely to be life threatening just frustrating! May try Outibridge, up Jawbone lane to Grenoside but turn left onto the top road over to thurgoland, silkstone common and come in on J37. Anyone with more info on that kind of area comment welcome! Clare

Just to report back... this route worked well! A little on the scenic side, but no jams or waterworks, left at 2 and got to Leeds just after 3.. quicker than my normal evening commute!

I went over walkley, down to Malin Bridge, across to Worrall road, dropped down to Outibridge and then up the other side (jawbone lane) to Grenoside. Left at Grenoside, road along the top until the A628 / A616 junction. Took A629 through Wortley and Thurogoland and then right onto Dodworth Road, through Silkstone common until reaching the M1 at J37. Motorway very quiet! Of course, there might of been some shorter cuts that I could have made, but I was happy that this worked and very happy to be back home!

Thanks for tips given and best of luck getting where you need to go to everyone,

Clare

I'm really bad with road names but tonight (providing my car starts...) I need to get from Hyde Park tram stop to Oughtibridge. My normal route is to Park Square, down past the courts to West Bar, along Shalesmoor onto Penistone Road, off at Parkside Road (SWFC) and up along Middlewood Road.

Does anybody know if this is do-able? And if not, which route should I take (in really simple terms as I don't know many road names!!!)

Thanks to you all for doing a brill job so far!!!

Thanks so much for the advice given already :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to get to the Valley Centertainment car park?

From any direction really, were coming from North Sheffield and expect diversions, just don't want to travel all that wayt o find the roads around there are closed totally?

Your best route for tomorrow morning (assuming that they haven't managed to do anything about the collapsed road surface on the A61 Penistone Road North- that is what's closing the A61 now) would be to join up to the A629 or A616 from Hudds direction then to avoid the tram gate at Hillsborough corner by going down on to the A61 at the filter point before Hillsborough Park.

I've done this route this afternoon and the road is now reopened at the Owls ground. Of course there could be issues surrounding the closed off section of Leppings Lane that are there because of the roadworks anyway- but there's no flooding there any more.

OK, thanks. If the A61 is clear form Wadsley Bridge on into town I'll be fine.

And it looks clear onthis webcam:

http://sccplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/utc/Images/Cam15.jpg

I just copied this from the council website

Road Closures

Heavy rain has caused disruption to the road network. The following roads / areas are currently closed:

Brightside Lane

Carbrook Street

Fife Street

Livesey Street

Meadowhall Road

Meadowhall Way

Newhall Road

Parkway (Closed Outbound from Asda)

Penistone Road

Savile Street

Sutherland Street

Upwell Street

Weedon Street

Winn Gardens

The M1 is currently closed between Junctions 31 and 36.

- I assume it's a bit outdated but DH just thinking about coming home from Rotherham and it still says M1 and Parkway closed??

Archived